sounds like a really really bad rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: sounds like a really really bad rev limiter

Wow! it can get a little brutal in this forum. Do you have a mechanical fuel pump on the engine and one in the fuel tank? If you have the one in the tank and it is out or going bad it could be staving for gas at those rpm’s when you step on it. Like mine did. I know you said that it will do this when you floor it, but will it do the same thing if you push on the gas slowly up to and past those rpm’s, also check your plugs to see what kind of shape they are in if you haven’t done it already.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: age84

Wow! it can get a little brutal in this forum. Do you have a mechanical fuel pump on the engine and one in the fuel tank? If you have the one in the tank and it is out or going bad it could be staving for gas at those rpm’s when you step on it. Like mine did. I know you said that it will do this when you floor it, but will it do the same thing if you push on the gas slowly up to and past those rpm’s, also check your plugs to see what kind of shape they are in if you haven’t done it already.
thats just black87. Does not understand that an engine can safely rev past where its max hp is. And you will note that in many of his posts he likes the flame and thumping icons. Must make him feel like a man or something.
Fuel would not cause his tach to jump from 4k to 6k. Now maybe he left out the part where he stabbed the clutch and that happened.

And my brother had a whooped *** small block in his 50 somthin Chevy p/u with 4:55 gears and a 4 speed. It cruised around 5500 on the freeway all day. My brother being a led foot made it see 7 grand often and he drove like that for years!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you are right about the tach not being effected by the fuel and i miss the the part about the HEI module "my bad" and that dose effect the tach there is a section in the chilton manual page 2-9 on how to test the HEI system. I do belive the module is pretty cheap.and as far as a small block hitting 6000 RPM mine will get ther in a heart beat, a lot faster than i want it do sometimes

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
2nd Gear member

im gonna get a new coil from vip. prolly gonna run down there today. but i really dont wanna go on a half hour drive with no pipes on my car. i took off my exhaust last night cuz i bottomed out on a 4 inch frost heave and it ripped my custom hanger off and my clamps are mia. so now i have long tubes with 2 feet of pipes and thats itits really way too loud. but like black said, i can blow it up right now if i WANTED, but as i clearly did not state, the 350 i have is located in my truck thats going on the road in a few days.plus it has a R V cam in it for wheelin. max power is at 4500 but i will easliy get up 6500 no problem. i just wouldnt wanna keep it there. and also when i reved up to 6000 was not when it was misfiring. thats a whole different story. anyways, if the coil dont work, im just gonna drop in a new distributor. it gettin worse now too. it starts missin at 3500 revs. and i dont floor it at all, not even half throttle. so hopefully ill get the new coil in today and ill keep yall posted. except you black, you dont deserve to hear how it went. now im quite angry with you. how old are you anyways? your arguing with a 17 year old kid. how childish of you.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, I'm confused how this got so out of hand. Let the kid run the car how he wants, it's his. As far as the tach going all screwy at higher RPMs, like MadMike said, it could be the ignition module. It does different things at different RPMs and may run fine all the way up to high RPMs. When you take an ignition module in to have it tested, the computer they put it on tests it at many different levels of RPMs and if it is bad at even one, it will fail it. Get a new one and all should be good.

Otherwise putting in a new distributor and rotor wouldn't hurt like you mentioned. It could very well be that too. My guess is something having to do with the spark not getting there around those RPMs.

I seriously doubt it's a rev limiter at all so don't think about that too much.

And, why would you drive a truck when you can drive a nice fast Camaro? Btw, a 350 doesn't put out over 300hp stock, might wanna check your facts.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: rockin85

im gonna get a new coil from vip. prolly gonna run down there today. but i really dont wanna go on a half hour drive with no pipes on my car. i took off my exhaust last night cuz i bottomed out on a 4 inch frost heave and it ripped my custom hanger off and my clamps are mia. so now i have long tubes with 2 feet of pipes and thats itits really way too loud. but like black said, i can blow it up right now if i WANTED, but as i clearly did not state, the 350 i have is located in my truck thats going on the road in a few days.plus it has a R V cam in it for wheelin. max power is at 4500 but i will easliy get up 6500 no problem. i just wouldnt wanna keep it there. and also when i reved up to 6000 was not when it was misfiring. thats a whole different story. anyways, if the coil dont work, im just gonna drop in a new distributor. it gettin worse now too. it starts missin at 3500 revs. and i dont floor it at all, not even half throttle. so hopefully ill get the new coil in today and ill keep yall posted. except you black, you dont deserve to hear how it went. now im quite angry with you. how old are you anyways? your arguing with a 17 year old kid. how childish of you.

its a built up engine its been rebuilt frrom the block up by my dad. and i live in nh. we get over a foot of snow every week. the maro goes good in the snow but it doesnt get going good or stop to quickly either. and plus they salt the roads here and it etas up my paint.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear member

well i bought the coil the other day and put it in. it only fixed half the problem. now it gets weird at 4500 rpm. so im now going to save up for a brand new mallory or msd ignition. prolly gonna spend around 400 for it, so it better work. then when i put in my 350 soon itll all be put on to that.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

now why cant we just all get along??

Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

i guess you hurt blackz87's feelings so he left. i dont know if your car has it or not but a buddy of mines car did that and it ended up bein the mass air flow sensor bein out.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member

nahh its carbed.

Quick Reply: sounds like a really really bad rev limiter