some knowledge on carburetors please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Default some knowledge on carburetors please

hey all, as you can see i am new to this forum and to the camaro world. i have a 84 z28 that was has some things that need to be repaired or replaced. my first order of business is trying to get the car to run right. since its cold where i live now, when i start the car it runs real rough. it stalls and after a few minutes of warming up and trying to drive it, every time i hit the throttle the engine bogs and almost turns off. so my question is does the choke on the carburetor need to be adjusted? if anyone could send me a site or some info on how to maintain a carb or clean it i would be very happy. . . thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM
4th Gear Member
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

May just want an adjustment, or could need a rebuild. Start with the basic adjustments and go from there.
Pick a carb, any carb: Carburetor Manuals & Technical Info

Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM

the shop manual tells everything to how to clean and maintain a carb? the carb is not the stock one. i believe its a edelbrock 650 cfm. thanks so much for the info.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

That could be part of the issue. Is it a direct factory replacement? Is every vacuum line, etc. hooked up? Checking that as well as routine carb adjustment is a great place to start.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The Edelbrock owners manual in the link I provided covers all the adjustments and calibrations you may need to make.
From your description, the likely culprit is the choke.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM

im hoping its the choke because from the looks of it all hoses are connected. when the car is warmed up it runs nice. it does give off a strong exhaust smell which im not sure if it means it is running rich, or just thats how old cars are with out a catalytic converter on there. thanks all for the input and the links. i read that carbs are still great to use for cheap hp if one day i want to put a supercharger on there compared to changing over to fuel injection.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim64123
the shop manual tells everything to how to clean and maintain a carb? the carb is not the stock one. i believe its a edelbrock 650 cfm. thanks so much for the info.
ahh, more details come. If you don't want a shop manual that's your prerogative. Personally I buy one for every vehicle. Despite how many years and years I've been playing I never ever claim to know it all. I find that there is nothing like having a manual which shows you how things are supposed to be; especially with vehicles we have not owned from day one and have no clue what's been done

you're welcome

Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM

i actually got that shop manual. so i will be looking through that book more thoroughly along with looking at these links. thank you. i am not one to be turning down suggestions and help. . especially since i dont have friends or people that i know personally that are helpful when it comes to cars and hot rods

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim64123
i actually got that shop manual. so i will be looking through that book more thoroughly along with looking at these links. thank you. i am not one to be turning down suggestions and help. . especially since i dont have friends or people that i know personally that are helpful when it comes to cars and hot rods
if you are serious about upgrades and have the funds, check out the last link i gave on your blower thread. If I had a project needing an engine/tranny I'd probably get that on the link i provided.

Quick Reply: some knowledge on carburetors please