Smog.Headers.Pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Smog.Headers.Pictures.

Thanks for all the help on last post got a new pcv valve and got my carb hooked to it. Still smoking and burning oil. Its dropping onto my exhaust pipes. I think Its coming from the Oil Pan. Because I replaced the valves and there gaskets. Could it be coming from anywhere else?

This is the "smog" unit right? I live in a county where my emissions dont get checked and someone gave me headers for free, so I need to replace my smog or buy a Y-pipe.

This is the passenger side and part of the smog pipe is cracked and caving thru.

Here are the headers I got. I dont know the brand and what not but I think I found a match to the summit ones.

Heres the link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5/?image=large

I need a Y-pipe to fit them and go to the cat can anyone find one that would be a direct fit?

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 06-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

From the looks of the engine and the puddles on the ground, it could be coming from anywhere and from more than one place. You would be best off wiping everything off with rags and seeing where the new oil develops. I have a feeling you'll be able to lay under the car and see it coming at you!
And yes those are the smog tubes. Your smog pump connects to them, as well as another line down to the cat converter.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

alright so can I remove all the smog parts without any issues?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, and no error codes will get thrown, and it won't have any affect on how the engine runs. But, you will need to incorporate your existing oxygen sensors into the new exhaust system.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the fast replies again. does anyone know of a y-pipe that would fit with those headers and the rest stock exhaust system on the car? with little to no modification.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

Most 3rd gen shorty headers have very very similar dimensions, so check edelbrock. They have a y-pipe that may do the trick, or you can always have one made. My starter made me do that, but it turned out great.

One thing, even though it always sounds fun, be careful with the emissions stuff. Just because your county doesn't test now, it can and probobly will in the near future. I've had so many problems with emissions testings and the repair $ to make the vehicle compliant, that I just make sure the emissions system is always perfect. Here in az its just as bad as So. Calif.

You probobly will not notice many gains with those headers unless you do a high flow cat and a solid cat back setup. It would be wise to give everything a once over before installing those headers. Get that oil leak squared away, oil leaks on headers are very smokey. Also, you are going to become very familiar with how cramped your bay will become trying to put the headers on. A/C, (sometimes the brackets need modified) brake lines, 02 sensors, temp switch, 8 plug wires...and plugs, starter, and body will all present some challenges in installing them. Most have to remove the passenger motor mount, jack the motor up to install the passenger side header, then hope the mount is good and will drop back into place.

You should have fun, but don't waste your time doing it if you aren't going to address the oil issue, or hack up the emissions stuff.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks I hope i dont need to jack the engine up lol.
Our county is based on coal/miners so pollution wont be a problem here lol.
I changed the valve covers and gaskets. That didnt stop the oil.
I think its the oil pan gasket. Can I remove the oil pan easily or do I need to jack the engine up? I would like to replace the Pan too is it alright to get a 4 quart oil pan? or do i need to get 5-6.

Oh what do the Oxygen sensors do exactly? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

350 4 bolt would that fit in place of my 305 right? I remember most of the people said I should upgrade instead of buying a rebuild kit for my 305.
If that would work what should I offer? I only 95 miles away and he says willing to ship within that area. Here's his post.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39200

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 06-17-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Any replies?
Well at work a kid my age said his friend has a 350 block for $75 he said it need new bearings. I give him 10-15 more for gas if he will drive it to my friends garage. Worth it?