slow warm starts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default slow warm starts

When the cars off for a while or sits over night usually turns right over.
When its warm it takes a couple of seconds to crank over. Not really a big problem just a little annoying after a while lol. I just have to pump the gas like 2-3 times and she starts up. Could this be cause the starter is getting a little warm? Also its a 305 carb'd. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

like the sig. check to see if the heat shield has been removed from between the motor and starter. thatll do it.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Need to clarify your use of terms. Are you trying to say that you have to crank the engine over for a few seconds before it will fire up?
Your choke could be closing too soon after a shut down, which it really doesn't want to be with a warm engine.
Or, you could have a lot of under-carb heat in the intake manifold, and the gas could be perking out of the carb as it sits.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ya camaro thats what i meant. So any fix for that? Sorry.
Thanks craby for pic comment. Ill check for the heatshield than too/

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear member

it might help if you put a carb spacer on it just gets it a little off of the manifold to keep temps down in the carb

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

After the car sits to the point where it usually gives you trouble, remove the air cleaner and take a look at the choke butterfly to see where it is; opened, closed, or in between? If it's closed, open it up some. If it's wide open, try closing it down a tad.
Then, pump the throttle while looking down the carb and see if you're getting a good squirt of gas.
If it's not squirting very well (assuming it normally does), a carb spacer could help. Be sure to get a phenolic type, they're made of a heat resistant composite that won't conduct heat through it like a metal one will. 4-hole spacers are for bottom end torque, wide-open spacers are for top end. And be sure to check for hood clearance before adding a spacer.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the carb spacer or heat shield are both good answers, i agree with either one. my 95 blazer seems to have the same problem, however it is self correcting. it used to fire right up cold, but once it was warm, it would take another second of cranking, sputter, then another second of crank to fully start. now it doesnt crank as fast when warm, but starts up normally. im not 100% on my issue, but i think my starter is getting weak. ive seen cars that would only crank cold because of a weak starter.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ya my carb has a wide open spacer made by mr gasket i think.(not sure if it's "phenolic" whats this mean?)
So thanks for replies

Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

i think by phelonic he means the plastic ones and not the metal ones dont quote me on that

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm not referring to the cheap plastic spacers, although that would be better than using metal ones as far as transferring less heat.
Phenolic is a heat set resin with a couple of different compounds that react together to form a tough, more stable cast piece. Bakelite is one, for instance. They could also be laminated, using resin impregnated cloth, fiberglass, or paper as the layers, then molded under heat and pressure. It's not your average cast plastic.

Quick Reply: slow warm starts