Should I replace my springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Should I replace my springs?

Ive gotten the entire suspension torn apart (ball joints,tie rods, centerlink, sway bar) and have found no obvious reason for my cars poor cornering. I can only assume it is one of two things now..

1) A combination of old ball joints, tie rods and dried out bushings and sway bar links.

2) Bad springs. I dont want to replace them if I dont have to (COST). But Id HATE to put it all back together and find she still handles like poo on a hot plate. So lets assume the car has 150K miles on it. Should I replace the springs? Should I dare buy used from Evilbay? Is there a way to test/measure the springs when they are removed from the car? Most importantly........

If I replace with new springs up front, will my ride height be effected? I hear horror stories of people replacing front springs and then getting that dreaded 'nose higher than tail' syndrome.....If I replace the front is it common sense to just replace the rears as well? (Looking for the voice of experience here, not theory)

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Should I replace my springs?

just buy some summit lowerin springs, like 200 for all 4 and they drop ride height like an inch, better handlin yo

Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As a general rule you can tell spring rate by how high you car sits. If your car ride height is normal then your springs are fine. The most common issues that cause a mushy cornering car are what you stated. Sway bar links/bushings, bad shocks and tall tires are the most common causes.

Now that assumes that your car handle to your liking when it was new. If you have never been happy with your cars handling you should look into springs and heavier sway bars. Depending on what package your car came with your handling could vary a lot. I remember some of the 89 irocs had 1-5/8 sway bars and springs that made the pickups feel like they road nice. They could not keep up with the vetts but they where not far behind them. Not even all the irocs where the same and compaired to the standard car,,,, they where not in the same ball park.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
March 2008 ROTM

oh scott... how i missed you. lol

IM BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND *****ES!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

oh scott... how i missed you. lol

IM BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND *****ES!!!
WooHoo!
Scott, we're gonna tear you a new one!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Bring it on, you old farts. As long as you offer some useful information in the process! [8D]

Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
March 2008 ROTM

listen here you. im younger than you are!! lol

as far as your springs. if you have the extra cash you could get just stock replacements for all 4 corners. OR you could try replaceing all your bushings. Ball joints and what not ( unless COMPLETELY trashed) wouldnt really make it handle worse. but replace them anyway since your at that stage anyway. better struts and shocks help a bit too. but what you do to the front, do to the rear to help avoid that look you talked about.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm the old fart [&o]

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well the ball joints are out. (That was fun, friggen loaner tool had to be seriously 'modified' to work....) Im still debating on the springs. My other hobbies are getting more expensive thanks to our new commander in chief......Its tought feeding my kids. (By feeding my kids I mean buying ammunition for ALL my guns.......) [:@] All the domsdayers and naysayers think Oblama is gonna take all their guns and ammo, so there is a buying frenzy on all things firearms related right now.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well at least you figured out the problem. All those people that think Obama is gonna take all their guns and ammo are idiots, and he isn't commander in chief yet, he's president elect. Why don't you wait a few months till the stupid people die down and buy stuff then?

Quick Reply: Should I replace my springs?