should i get this camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Default should i get this camaro??

hey guys, pretty new on here, been a lurker for a while cause i dont have a camaro yet. anyways im always on craigslist, looking at camaros for sale(love them!). anyways i found this one. its a 1987 camaro v6, auto trans. runs, just needs new spark plugs i am told. clean title. heres a few pics:

Name:  Picture001.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  79.3 KB

its looks pretty nice for its age. the only thing that bothers me is the guy agreed to trade it to my for my xbox 360, 10+ games, 3 controllers, wireless adapter, and 2 rechargeable batteries. is this too good to be true or what?? help!!!

he has a couple cars he has to get rid of(wife is making him apparently) so maybe thats why hes letting this one go cheap?

i need yalls opinions! what does these usually go for? im new to camaros..

thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Looks like an 86.

And if you want the car to drive it like a camaro, your going to want a v8 350 or a 305 HO.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Bad plugs seems fishy, A scope can tell if you have bad plugs but they are almost non-exist at this point. Long story short it would cost more to be sure the plugs are bad then it would cost to change them.

If the car will not idle or drive well assume its going to cost more then a plug change to fix. If its not been done recently these cars are known for intake and head gaskets. The base model V6 with engine problems a dirty interior and pealing paint will not bring top dollar. Might be a nice way to start a hobby

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 PM

he has it listed as an 87...what tells you its an 86? not arguing, just wondering. as for driving it like a camaro, i kinda just want one right now, as a 2nd car to use instead of my truck. i was thinking of some light performance bolt on mods for it, but if it is prone to intake and head gasket problems i might just pull the engine.

it shouldnt be that hard to swap in a 305 HO or 350 should it? if its pulled from a similar year camaro?

also GORN, you said "The base model V6 with engine problems a dirty interior and pealing paint will not bring top dollar. " are you saying this one has a dirty interior and peeling paint? or in general? i kinda though the paint looked pretty good besides the rear bumper..

and thanks for the help!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, it looks like it needs some TLC, put it that way.
And when i said it looks like an 86, its because when i had my 86, it has the same shifter *** as the one in the pic, aswell as the steering wheel. My 86 was a v6 2.8 aswell... My 87 shift *** and steering wheel are differnent(i have a GT steering wheel now though, but before, when it was stock it was differnt lol)

An xbox for a camaro..... take the deal......

Oh, and it depends how well you know engines if you can do the swap.. but i would deff want a v8 in my maro.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was just going by the pics you posted. If you want a V-8 car there are a lot of deals out there. I have no Idea how much your gaming system plus games is worth. But if I assume you could sell it for $500 then maybe its not a great deal for you.

It all depends on how serious you are about putting a V-8 in the car. When you can buy a car that already has a V-8 in it for 1200 its not worth buying a V-6 for 500. IMO there is no way to get a decent v-8 upgrade for $700. Only you know your money situation and how bad you want a V-8. also don't think your are going to do anything with that 2.8. Those bottom ends where failing bone stock under warranty. If I remember right there was a pretty big upgrade in the 2.8 in 87.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/983711964.html

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Camarofan If I were you I would try to stay as far away from a third gen V6. The only thing a third gen 6 is good for is ok gas mileage and ummmm thats it. Trust me you would regret it when grandma in her Chrysler K car passes you on the highway... Also I know how pricey Xbox is and honestly I wouldn't pay more than $500 for that car like Gorn said.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you drive it, and if you did how did it run?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
BackseatBob

I'll throw in my 2 cents here... one way or another, it aint no '87. nor an '86. In 1986, government required a center mounted stop light in the back. in 1986, this was placed on the rear hatch on all models... that was the only year it was there, so if it was an '86 it would have the goofy looking center stop lamp over the hatch. In 1987, they fixed the stupidity by puttung bigger spoilers on all models if I'm not mistaken, and putting the thing in the spoiler. If if doesn't have the center stop lamp, it's pre-'86. Check the VIN, it will tell you what year it is. If it's a fuel injected 2.8, it's msot likely an '85. They started using EFI on the V6 in '85, and it didn't have the center mounted stop light on it. Check out this site for VIN reading: http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...-third-gen.asp

Last edited by bobarian91; 01-28-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM

thanks for the help guys. well he has it listed as an 87, and says it has a 3.1, not 2.8. he also told me now that it has a new cd player and 10-disc changer in it. the more i read yalls posts, the more this sounds like a bad idea..

what would you guys recommend the nin the form of a camaro? i like all the body styles of them, but i really want a v8, 5spd manual. doesnt matter if the engine/trans are running or not as long as they are there. think i could find one for under say $700? one that isnt running and needs work. im going to college next year to study automotive customization, so im looking for a project.

thanks!