Should I Buy A 3rd Gen Camaro Project Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Should I Buy A 3rd Gen Camaro Project Car?

Hello All,
I was looking online for some project car ideas on Craigslist when I came across a 1986 Camaro Z28. I got to looking on the listing, and it was posted to sell for $600. The person who posted it said that it needs tires replaced because only two hold air (I would have changed them anyways), and a new fuel pump, and apparently it would run after that. I would also plan on replacing the rims, seats, steering wheel, and getting a new paint job. I was emailing the guy and he said that it has a replaced dash in it with no cracks or anything. I am only 15 years old, so I don't have my license yet but I am really interested in buying something under $1000 to fix up, but I didn't want to buy something without a transmission or an engine and such because I don't have the smarts yet because I have never done anything like this before. Anyways, what I am asking is, should I buy a 3rd generation Camaro project car for my first car? And if so, include some information regarding how much all of that would cost too if possible.

Thanks a lot,
Brendon

Last edited by Brendon; 07-29-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brendon

Hello All,
I was looking online for some project car ideas on Craigslist when I came across a 1986 Camaro Z28. I got to looking on the listing, and it was posted to sell for $600. The person who posted it said that it needs tires replaced because only two hold air (I would have changed them anyways), and a new fuel pump, and apparently it would run after that. I would also plan on replacing the rims, seats, steering wheel, and getting a new paint job. I was emailing the guy and he said that it has a replaced dash in it with no cracks or anything. I am only 15 years old, so I don't have my license yet but I am really interested in buying something under $1000 to fix up, but I didn't want to buy something without a transmission or an engine and such because I don't have the smarts yet because I have never done anything like this before. Anyways, what I am asking is, should I buy a 3rd generation Camaro project car for my first car? And if so, include some information regarding how much all of that would cost too if possible.

Thanks a lot,
Brendon
Do they put chemicals on the road in the winter in Ohio? Your folks would know so ask them.

You are looking at a 26 year old vehicle which has been exposed to road chemicals. I would not even want to guess what the underneath looks like. Can you say rust bucket

There is a reason the person is asking $600 just like the reason that I got my 89 RS project vehicle for $500. But, here's the rub. Mine is a Florida car and has been all its life, thus no rust. It had 4 brand new tires, new brakes and all of the pieces were there. The tires alone were worth the $500 price. Go to project vehicles and look at my 89 RS restoration thread. Now understand that the 89 was a project vehicle, not my daily driver.

It's great if you want to learn about cars and I still remember buying my first car when I was 15 and worked on it for over a year and when I got my license, it was ready.

Unless you have someone to help you and they have tools and experience, it can be very frustrating and EXPENSIVE.

I bought a 95 Z28 for my son and he helped me work on it. He didn't know it was his until momma spilled the beans but, I was there with him every step of the way showing him tips, how to think a few steps ahead etc. I also was the one who bought everything for it to make it ready. He never would have been able to afford it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Do they put chemicals on the road in the winter in Ohio? Your folks would know so ask them.

You are looking at a 26 year old vehicle which has been exposed to road chemicals. I would not even want to guess what the underneath looks like. Can you say rust bucket

There is a reason the person is asking $600 just like the reason that I got my 89 RS project vehicle for $500. But, here's the rub. Mine is a Florida car and has been all its life, thus no rust. It had 4 brand new tires, new brakes and all of the pieces were there. The tires alone were worth the $500 price. Go to project vehicles and look at my 89 RS restoration thread. Now understand that the 89 was a project vehicle, not my daily driver.

It's great if you want to learn about cars and I still remember buying my first car when I was 15 and worked on it for over a year and when I got my license, it was ready.

Unless you have someone to help you and they have tools and experience, it can be very frustrating and EXPENSIVE.

I bought a 95 Z28 for my son and he helped me work on it. He didn't know it was his until momma spilled the beans but, I was there with him every step of the way showing him tips, how to think a few steps ahead etc. I also was the one who bought everything for it to make it ready. He never would have been able to afford it.
In the winter, they just use salt because in Ohio, the roads can get pretty snowy and icy. Thanks for the rest of the information.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

In the winter, they just use salt because in Ohio, the roads can get pretty snowy and icy. Thanks for the rest of the information.
salt is a chemical and very corrosive to vehicles

I'd steer awy from it if I were you, get a job as a busboy so you can earn tips as well and save your money

Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 PM
4th Gear Member

That is NOT a project car, but a Money Pit. A project car is one that is running and with a body in good shape and still having all the majoe parts. The description of the one in the orignal post should be in a junkyard.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
salt is a chemical and very corrosive to vehicles

I'd steer awy from it if I were you, get a job as a busboy so you can earn tips as well and save your money
I know, I am aware of that. I already am a busboy at a restaurant, lol.

Originally Posted by blackz87
That is NOT a project car, but a Money Pit. A project car is one that is running and with a body in good shape and still having all the majoe parts. The description of the one in the orignal post should be in a junkyard.
That's what my dad was telling me; that'd it become a money pit.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
4th Gear Member

I know, I am aware of that. I already am a busboy at a restaurant, lol.

big high 5 from TIG. learning to deal with the public will be invaluable as you move forward in life. Also, learning how to kiss people on all 4 cheeks in order to reach your goals and objectives, believe it or not will help in business negotiations

listen to your dad, he knows what he's talking about and his words are based on love for you, not trying to squash your "dream car"

Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd look at it as a possible parts car, and nothing else. There are a lot of decent third gens out there looking for a good home that are reasonably priced.

And don't worry about the bus boy thing, I used to be one myself, and made decent dough. Lots of pretty waitresses to have fun with.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
I'd look at it as a possible parts car, and nothing else. There are a lot of decent third gens out there looking for a good home that are reasonably priced.

And don't worry about the bus boy thing, I used to be one myself, and made decent dough. Lots of pretty waitresses to have fun with.
Yeah, you're right man. I might as well look for a 4th gen that's ready to go that doesn't need any work then. Haha, you're right; there's some dimers to look at.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I am a die hard third genner, but I like all the camaros. The 4th gens make a lot of power meaning the LT1 LS engines etc. Just don't kid yourself. The girls may like your car more than they like the driver.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy A 3rd Gen Camaro Project Car?