Serious looker

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Serious looker

Soon it will be the time when i purchase my first car, and I really like the 3rd gen Camaros. I've been looking at 1991s mainly. I've just got a few questions: how much better is the Z28 than the RS, auto or manual transmission, can '91 style tail lights be put on a non-revised style tail light car, and how difficult does mainanence get on these vehicles? Another question how is the wet weather traction if i installed sports tires with above average ratings for that kind of environment?

Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Default RE: Serious looker

what i meant by auto or manual transmission was: is there any kind of advantage one type has over the other?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:48 PM

If youre looking into what one is better, id say the z28 obviously. The rs for the years youre looking at (91-92) came in either v6 or v8. I perosnally own a 91 v8 rs. I got this car when i was 15 and now im 17. I have to say, it was a great car to learn on, its literally a tank lol. It gets you good at learning how to handle a car id say. But if you want power, find a z28 model. The rs, in either v6 or 8, is very slow by my standards now. Sure you can mod it, but id say if you need power, get a z28 right away. They look cooler, and got some extra go.

As far as whats better manual or auto, id say manual. Mainly because the manual third gens of i think 91-92 (probably other years as well) had more horse than that auto (at least the 305 tpi did).

This can probably help you out a lot if you havent seen it: http://www.thirdgen.org/1992-chevy-camaro

Its got all the tech stuff for camaros around that year. If youre anything like me, youll buy the top end model rs as a first car, but then a year or two later be left wanting more. As of right now im trying to sell my 91 rs for something with more power. So if youre looking to keep your car, base it on that. When i first got my rs, i thought it was that fastest thing out there, i was sadly mistaken.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:55 PM

Sorry, didnt really read your entire post, as far as keeping mine in good running order, id say everyhting is pretty simple, but jesus, the spark plugs on these things take me upwards of an hour to change, if not more, and i have had practice. Sure there are some things that will be hard to get to and youll be left yelling at the car, but i consider it worth it to own such a great looking car. Sadly since it is kinda a sport car, some parts can really run you a good amount, but its nothing i consider too major.

As far as wet weather traction, ive never had any scary incidents in the rain, but i do naturally try to take everyhting more safely. Unless i feel like having fun, in which case you can break that back end loose like no other. So yeah, its easier to lose it in the rain in these cars than most others, but as long as youre careful, its easy enough to get through.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

I once took my 86 out in 3 feet of snow with no problem (aside from digging it out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 cubic feet of snow, that is.)

Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
March 2008 ROTM

for your VERY first car. i personally, wouldnt let my child get a sports car. They are dangerous if you do not respect them, even the 305 tbi can get ya in a lot of trouble if your not ready or experienced for it. Also the time and money involved in keeping it running good. but maybe your lucky enough to have expierence in this stuff and the money to keep it in shape. i for one, do not. im 19 with a 89 RS ( but i have a crate 350 in it) and im keeping it running and all, but its tough sometimes. These are GREAT cars though, other than a few minor mishaps, im very very happy with my investment.

as for the transmission. the 5 speed ( t-5 ) is only available on the 305. GM didnt put it on a 350 from the factory. It simply couldnt hold up to the power long enough to keep the warranty that GM offeres. The auto ( 700r4) is a strong 4 speed that will handle plenty of power for you any time soon. I have the t-5 in mine ( later found out that its rebuildt with heavy duty clutch and gears) and i have a blast with it. But it is easy to break these cars loose on dry roads, much less wet. Ive done numerous 360's or 180's before i figured out this car.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

for your VERY first car. i personally, wouldnt let my child get a sports car. They are dangerous if you do not respect them, even the 305 tbi can get ya in a lot of trouble if your not ready or experienced for it. Also the time and money involved in keeping it running good. but maybe your lucky enough to have expierence in this stuff and the money to keep it in shape. i for one, do not. im 19 with a 89 RS ( but i have a crate 350 in it) and im keeping it running and all, but its tough sometimes. These are GREAT cars though, other than a few minor mishaps, im very very happy with my investment.

as for the transmission. the 5 speed ( t-5 ) is only available on the 305. GM didnt put it on a 350 from the factory. It simply couldnt hold up to the power long enough to keep the warranty that GM offeres. The auto ( 700r4) is a strong 4 speed that will handle plenty of power for you any time soon. I have the t-5 in mine ( later found out that its rebuildt with heavy duty clutch and gears) and i have a blast with it. But it is easy to break these cars loose on dry roads, much less wet. Ive done numerous 360's or 180's before i figured out this car.
I agree with you, even though my first car the my 85 TA 305TPI, you don't need lots of power especially with an inexperienced driver, i remember going around a corner wet did a complete 180 on a busy road, no cars were coming I ended up perfectly on the other side and drove off. I was lucky I didnt mess up the car or even get hurt, But I learned and now know the limits when its wet, even worse when it snows but havent crashed yet.Taking a turn too fast even with the 305tbi can end up killing you if you dont realize the power and respect it as 350rs said.

And maintnence! That can be a pain in the ***! Especially for me not making alot as a student working part time it was terrible when it had to brought into the shop, many times I didnt have enough and would have to borrow money from my parents, I hated doing that. I got the car about a year next month and it has been in the shop atleast 3 or 4 times for stupid little problems that ended up costing around $200 each time, unless you can fix things yourself labor is not cheap at $89/hour.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm going to agree with these guys. You really should think about something less powerful as a first car. This is something I personally think is done well with a Honda Civic. Low power, cheap to fix, and when you're ready to sell the car, it's still worth as much as when you bought the car.

If your mind is set on a Camaro, test drive a few first. Maybe borrow a friend's car for a couple days. I've had some nasty mishaps in the Camaro, and again, it's just a 305 TBI. These cars would do well to be set up for less oversteer for inexperienced drivers.

Just to make the case that it doesn't take much power to get into trouble, I crashed my Nissan Hardbody into a tree one night. Tried to dodge an animal, and lost traction and slid my rear end into a tree. Sure, it was only cosmetic damage, but on a car, it would most likely total it out. My truck will be fine with a new bed, which is around $100 at the junkyard.

To recap: Your first car should be a low powered car with good handling. The Honda Civic fits this need well. You're not going to win any races anytime soon, but you'll get wherever you're going safely.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:16 AM

I guess i didnt really take into account having a shop do the work, i generally do it myself or with the help of my dad. Celticsfan is right about that. And these are old cars, so expect things to break, i know some thirdgens that are just endless money pits. If you do buy one, make sure its in at least decent condition, otherwise youll screw yourself.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I just looked back at receipts and ive spent about $1200 on parts and labor in less than a year, i still need to get new t top seals, door seals, get it diagnosed doesnt seem to drive like it used to, and this engine wasnt the original 305! At the time i got it the engine had about 60k on it...just something to consider.