Rs camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you're dropping a 350 into it, forget the LT1 and buy a crate 350/290 from GM Performance Parts. They run a hair over 2 grand and put out 290hp/326tq in stock form, and of course you can upgrade from there. And you'll have less headache in getting it running right off the bat.

https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...-12499529--%3E

Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
I know he may have come across a little harsh, but its the absolute truth. These cars did not make big power. If you want power you will need to swap motors. This is not cheap. Thats great if you've got a buddy's LT1, but keep in mind the amount of work it will take to do it right. By right, I mean all sensors and a fully functioning computer. You have to have some serious patience and a garage that can support a swap of that nature. You will find so many little things you never thought of that add up quick: Belts, hoses, sensors, computer, ecm, switches, relays, fan control switch, exhaust plus cats, etc. Just budget carefully and make sure everything is labeled clearly and well.

Plus, don't think putting a tired LT1 is going to make amazing gobs of power either. Its a better platform than your current 305 but consider what motor work that will need before it goes into your car. best of luck!

the LT1 has 85 miles. So yeah its not tired at all. Not even a little. It made 325HP with ram air kit. I plan on getting one too. I know how to do this stuff. I have a lift too. We build race cars.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear member

You build race cars and you're asking what would make your car faster, how do you make the race cars fast?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
You build race cars and you're asking what would make your car faster, how do you make the race cars fast?
I was going to say something like that too, you beat me to it!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I didnt mean how do I do it. I meant do you guys know of any good parts/engine to buy that would make it fast that work well with the camaro. I am a dodge man not a chevy guy. I already have a bunch of parts that I think would go good with it I just wanted to know if you guys had a second opinion.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Okay, I'll throw you a bone: If you want to keep the 305, it's a losing battle to try and get power out of it. Sure you can do it, it's just not worth it, not to mention the factory TBI system is very limiting on what you can do.

My advice is to set a goal for how much power you want, then build an engine accordingly. Keep in mind you have an RS, so you probably have an open rear end with tall gears, thin sway bars, and soft springs. I wouldn't put more than 350hp in the car without doing some suspension upgrades, including sub frame connectors.

You then have to take the fuel induction into consideration. As I said before, the TBI system is very limiting and was never designed to make power. I'd suggest to either swap to a carb, or swap to TPI. If you swap to a carb you have to either add a fuel pressure regulator and retain the stock electric pump or drop the tank and remove the pump.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's countless things that need to be taken into consideration when making power.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Okay, I'll throw you a bone: If you want to keep the 305, it's a losing battle to try and get power out of it. Sure you can do it, it's just not worth it, not to mention the factory TBI system is very limiting on what you can do.

My advice is to set a goal for how much power you want, then build an engine accordingly. Keep in mind you have an RS, so you probably have an open rear end with tall gears, thin sway bars, and soft springs. I wouldn't put more than 350hp in the car without doing some suspension upgrades, including sub frame connectors.

You then have to take the fuel induction into consideration. As I said before, the TBI system is very limiting and was never designed to make power. I'd suggest to either swap to a carb, or swap to TPI. If you swap to a carb you have to either add a fuel pressure regulator and retain the stock electric pump or drop the tank and remove the pump.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's countless things that need to be taken into consideration when making power.

I was looking into buying the engine from this site: https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...-12499529--%3E

Looks strong and will give me a good amount of HP. I can also mod it from there. I think I am going to steer away from trying to make the 305 fast and juts throw it out.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RS camaro
Just switch trannys. lol And a 350 wont make 300 HP anyway. Not from the 90's. The LT1 will
Dude, I was rooting for you until you said that. Its how you build them. Ive got a block from a 73, vortec heads, a .469 cam and a bunch of other mods....trust me, Im well over 300 hp. If you want to upgrade to more 'felt' power, change out your rear end gears. Other than that (as has been stated before) getting a 305 above 200 HP gets REALLY expensive. Its cheaper to throw in a base 350, carb and headers which will start ya off at about 225 hp.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScottD
Dude, I was rooting for you until you said that. Its how you build them. Ive got a block from a 73, vortec heads, a .469 cam and a bunch of other mods....trust me, Im well over 300 hp. If you want to upgrade to more 'felt' power, change out your rear end gears. Other than that (as has been stated before) getting a 305 above 200 HP gets REALLY expensive. Its cheaper to throw in a base 350, carb and headers which will start ya off at about 225 hp.
What I meant when I said that the 350 wouldnt make over 300HP I meant a stock one from the early 90's I am well aware that you can make a 350 have well over 300 even 400HP with the right parts.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
4th Gear Member

I had a dream and in that dream my RS Camaro turned into a 500 HP performance monster. I was adding the right parts left and right until I woke up. And my car was the same 305TBI RS grocery getter.....Get the point RS camaro.