RPM GAge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: RPM GAge!!!

ORIGINAL: rockin85

i had a similar problem on my car. it would jump around and not work half the time. so i put in a tach from a junk car, and now it works fine. goto your local junk yard and try to find one. 10 20 bucks should do it. just slide out the old one and pop in the other.
how do i remove it... the whole dashboard or what lol ive never attempted to take a tach out and it looks like it would have to be the whole dash.. and i have a 90 rs w/6cyl for the guys who keep crackin sayin i have a 4.. omg i would be on crack if i did tho!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: FunkyColdMedina

No i actually it has a 6 cyl i would be an absolute idiot to buy a 4 and drive it around!!!!!!!1
Oh thats my bad. I confused you with Fonzie (or something like that) who has a four cylinder. Still though some previous owner could have replaced the cluster with the wrong one.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so its better if i just replace it

Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i think in order to take it out, take the torque head bolts out that are around the gauge cluster, and pull the whole assembly out. From there on, i couldnt tell ya how it comes out, ive never takin it out. But i have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of it and just from what i can see, it LOOKS like thats all it would take to pull the assembly out

Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

i think in order to take it out, take the torque head bolts out that are around the gauge cluster, and pull the whole assembly out. From there on, i couldnt tell ya how it comes out, ive never takin it out. But i have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of it and just from what i can see, it LOOKS like thats all it would take to pull the assembly out
Ok you are wrong this time. The 90-92 dash and cluster is different.
If it is not reading correct and there is nothing that has been fooled with in the wires then you may just need to replace it. Also does it always run right? I did a 97 4.3 swap in my mom's 84 S10 and it would crap out onme at times. It was so intermitent I had a hard time tracking the problem. I would get misfire codes but felt that was due to it crapping out or trying to. One day I noticed the Monster Tach I installed was jumping around but the truck was running smooth at that moment. I disconected the tach and the truck crapped out afterwards. I replaced the ignition module and it ran fine with the tach hooked up and the tachs reading are normal.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

ORIGINAL: 350rs

Ok you are wrong this time. The 90-92 dash and cluster is different.
If it is not reading correct and there is nothing that has been fooled with in the wires then you may just need to replace it. Also does it always run right? I did a 97 4.3 swap in my mom's 84 S10 and it would crap out onme at times. It was so intermitent I had a hard time tracking the problem. I would get misfire codes but felt that was due to it crapping out or trying to. One day I noticed the Monster Tach I installed was jumping around but the truck was running smooth at that moment. I disconected the tach and the truck crapped out afterwards. I replaced the ignition module and it ran fine with the tach hooked up and the tachs reading are normal.
Yeah the car runs fine now that i think about it i had the engine swapped out a year ago or so when i first bought the car because thats how i bought it with a ceased engine so maybe thats what caused it to mess up and everytime i go to the junk yard i see dash boards are a pain in the *** to remove and install but hey i may give it a try just for theheck of it on a junk car and if it turns out ok then ill do mine

Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear member

if its like mine, theres a black plate over the cluster. take out the star wrench screws. pull off the black cover, then theres a clear cover take off that too. then theres a metal cover, 2 screws for that one. you should now have access to the gauges, 5.5 mm screws hold the gauges in place. unscrew and take it out. this takes about 20 minutes tops. after your done before putting it back together, see if it works. it should , then you log on to the forum and thank me

Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok now do i have to replace the tach or is there no other way or can i mess around with the distrib. or some thing like that because like i said a swapped engines when i got it so now i know what caused it so what should i do lol!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: rockin85

if its like mine, theres a black plate over the cluster. take out the star wrench screws. pull off the black cover, then theres a clear cover take off that too. then theres a metal cover, 2 screws for that one. you should now have access to the gauges, 5.5 mm screws hold the gauges in place. unscrew and take it out. this takes about 20 minutes tops. after your done before putting it back together, see if it works. it should , then you log on to the forum and thank me
If you take a moment to read post you will see where he stated his is a 90 and another post where it says that the 90-92 are different. So it is nothing like yours

You can try testing the ignition module and that is about it. If you have a tach for a 6 cylinder you can just wire it up to test to see if it has a proper reading or the same as what you have now.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:19 PM
March 2008 ROTM

right, damn, well, i tried. I forgot about the whole change between the years. WHY CANT THEY JUST BUILD THEM THE SAME?!?! lol. would make things so much more simple.

Quick Reply: RPM GAge!!!