Rewiring of Enginebay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rewiring of Enginebay?

The wiring is horrible in my camaro, i would like to re-do it myself or just cut out as many wires as i can that i do not need. The only electronics the car needs is the dizzy, alt, lights, battery, torque conv. lockup and thats it. Do the lights run on a seperate harness? Does anyone have some good schematics or pictures so that i can cut what i dont need and etc? I would like my engine bay to look nice, it looks like crap w/ all the wires that went to emissions, a/c, and etc just laying around. Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rewiring of Enginebay?

its not hard, i just did the same thing with mine because i switched to a 350 carbed from a 2.8 mpfi, while i do have the full wiring diagrams for the entire car(31 pages worth) i found the easiest thing to do, is first off, make sure every wire you need is attachted or marked, i mean everything, then, cut open the harness very carefully, and just go thru wire by wire and find any wire that goes to something thats not connected, it may sound like a alot of going thru but trust me its nothing compared to trying to find every wire on a diagram, i think i got rid of 80% of my wiring, but i also elimated just about everything except the alternator and the starters and the lights, all sensors are gone. the peice of crap lockup control is gone, dist is a single wire plus tach wire, all the comp stuff is gone, but as far as the lights its a seperate harness but it gets combined into the main harness at one point.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks allot man, ive got about 2-3 weeks till i need to worry about the car getting another engine in the engine bay, so ive got plenty of time.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

wow you were pretty careful about that zeus, me, i just cut all the wires that came out of the computer or went to the computer and then reattached the ones for my wipers lol

Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

lol i was only careful about it because ive messed it up before on a 72 camaro i had started to rebuild while i was in middle school(father son project, that ended when the parents split) still miss that car, but i had the bright idea i would just cut out the whole harness and run new stuff everywhere, well lets just say it was a bit more work than i had thought[:-]

Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

but much better in the end i bet

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

o yeah much better, but would have been alot easier if i hadnt trashed the old harness and had it to copy