Removed cat converter now car smokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
to elminate coolant, you can just spend $25 on a pressure tester. pump it up to 16 psi and let it sit. crank it over in the morning with fuel and spark diasabled, and see what plugs are wet
Yea micro this is the best way, just a PITA to get to the plugs.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

trust me, theres worse vehicles to do plugs on. first time i did them on my car took 2 hours. second time took 45 minutes. third time took 20. now it takes less than 10 thanks to headers

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Well guy's we ruled out a sensor issue, everything checked out ok. We're gussing the rich burning smell is just because the converter is off but still puzzled on the smoke. Its got to be one of 2 things, rings or valve seals. If it were rings why doesn't it show on the plugs? If its the seals why does it smoke all the time? I'm leaning more toward the seals thinking they are just completely gone. Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

My seals are completely gone on my IROC, but it quits smoking after I start and run it.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Thats why I'm confussed on if it could be the seals. I changed the plugs and oil today and added a quart of marvel mystry oil the drove it down the interstate for about 35/40 miles.The smoke did seem to ease up a little (very little). May be its a stuck ring from the car sitting so much but still stumped on why the plugs looked so good. Im going to make another interstate run tomorrow to see if the oil sitting for a while might make something loosen up. This car has been babied all its life and with only 89,000 miles makes the a ring issue not make since, but who knows. I'm hoping its the seals. I really dont want to pull the engine, If I do I'll get carried away as usual and my crusier with AC will turn into drag car. I bought this car for the sole reason of having a stock dependable nice looking crusier and because of the low miles but dang if it didnt bit me in the butt.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1989 drop top
This car has been babied all its life and with only 89,000 miles makes the a ring issue not make since, but who knows.
That could be the cause of your problem, if it is a ring or rings. How was it "babied" before, compared to how you drive it?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the possibility of a stuck ring is there. I would drive it w/marvels for much longer than 40 miles though. Keep an I on your oil pressure. You could loosen up too much sludge if you have it in your engine, and plug your oil filter. I would drive it for 1000 miles at least, especially if you think your oil burning problem is improving. It's worth a try.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

its risky, but you can also add a pint of diesel and run it around 2k for a half hour, then change the oil. it works on gummed up engines. also, remove the pcv valve and check the operation of that. run the car up to temp and see how much smoke is coming from the valve cover with the pcv disabled. if its a heavy amount, then it is more than likely rings. also, what brand and weight oil are you using?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
its risky, but you can also add a pint of diesel and run it around 2k for a half hour, then change the oil. it works on gummed up engines. also, remove the pcv valve and check the operation of that. run the car up to temp and see how much smoke is coming from the valve cover with the pcv disabled. if its a heavy amount, then it is more than likely rings. also, what brand and weight oil are you using?
With a quart of Marvels in it already wouldn't diesel be over the top?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

could be just enough to free up the rings. never used the marvel mystery oil, so i dont know how thin it is. if it can stay in there a while, i would think its just a detergent additive. read the bottle, just never used it

Quick Reply: Removed cat converter now car smokes