Removed cat converter now car smokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you still have the oxygen sensor in, and connected? Without it, the engine can run too rich. Does your exhaust make your eyes burn?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 AM

I'll get back with you on the oxygen sensor now that you mention it I'm not sure. And yes it burning rich.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Not sure what you hope to gain by removing the "smog junk" There will be no noticable power increase, only emply plugs, fittings, wires, etc. that will make your car unsellable, or unpassable when (not if) emissions come to your area. Yes, they are a pain but there are too many idiots gutting the cat trying to find 100 horsepower. That car needs to be left stock to run correctly. Run out your sea foam and direct yourself towords your fuel delivery and see what the cause is of it running rich.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Trust me I dont want to take it off, Im not looking for horse power. Now get this, I came home and cranked the car up while sitting in the garage and I had to shine a flash light in front of the tail pipes to see the smoke. What tha heck? The oxygen sensor is still in but the working part is still unanswered. Shouldn't I get a code if its not. I got code 23 which is IAT sensor the other day. I took it out of the air cleaner and checked it with a ohm meter and hair dryer and it seemed to work. The car is still running rich but again it was in the garage running for about 5 min. I drive this car to church and a few week end car shows, could the sea foam have broke some gunk loose and with the car sitting be causing all the smoke before? I still dont know why it almost stopped with out driving it. Suggestions PLEASE!!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

not having a cat will cause your eyes to burn from the exhaust. if the spark plugs are clean, then there is probably coolant burning. does the exhaust have a sweet smell or taste? (yes, taste by inhaling through your mouth). even if the plugs have 500 miles, they should have some grey or tan tint to them. if theyre clean, there is definatly coolant entering. i ran my old dd with leaking head gaskets for 50k miles before i got around to fixing it. it would only drop coolant level about a quart every 3-4k miles. it would steam a slight bit at start up, and had no cat, and the odor was slightly detectable. dead give away was the clean spark plugs on the cylinders with coolant intrusion. could also be the intake manifold as well

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1989 drop top
I got code 23 which is IAT sensor the other day. I took it out of the air cleaner and checked it with a ohm meter and hair dryer and it seemed to work. The car is still running rich but again it was in the garage running for about 5 min.
Get that problem taken care of then. If the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor isn't working correctly, it could be registering a cold air condition, which will then richen up the air/fuel mix.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Ok this sensor thing....I called my 2 local chevrolet dealer and asked the service guys what there thoughts were. They also said to replace the IAT sensor, so I asked the parts guys at both and they show the IAT as the sensor that screws into the intake beside the goose neck. I thought it was the one in the air cleaner. They chevrolet place doent know what the one in the air cleaner is called. Ive managed to stump the dealer. The one Im calling the IAT clips in the breather housing and has what looks like a round diod sticking out of the top and has a 2 pin connector. There is also another sensor in the breather housing that looks like a set of points. Between the 2 in the breather housing, the one in the intake and the mass air flow sensor, What is what and were is it? I'm going to have to go back to pre computer cars, this is nuts!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Microkid the plugs are tan and no sweet tast. I've sucked in enough fumes to fart my own smoke. Its just burning really rich and gets worse as the car heats up.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The sensor in the breather housing that looks like a set of points is called an air temperature sensor. Based on incoming air temps, it controls when the flapper in the air cleaner snorkel opens and closes, to either pull in hot air from the riser tube off the exhaust manifold, or cool air straight through the snorkel. And that brings up another point; if that isn't working correctly, or if someone disconnected the "unnecessary smog crap vacuum hoses", the snorkel flapper may not be opening to let the engine breathe free cool air.
The "round diode" in the air cleaner base is called a manifold air temperature sensor (MAT). That sensor is actually a thermistor, and it delays EGR valve function till the incoming air temp gets to 40 degrees F. If that system is malfunctioning, you'll get a 23 or 25 error code (you did get a 23).

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-20-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Yes I did get a code 23. I talked to a guy last night who has a some kind of a diagnostic machine that will tell me which sensor or sensors are bad, Im taking the car there today. Man I cant tell you how much I appreceate your help (That goes for everybody). Thank you!

Quick Reply: Removed cat converter now car smokes