rear seat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default rear seat delete?

hey, i have a 92 rs and i want to take out the rear seats, so i did so last nite and relized how dumb it looks. what i was wondering is if there is any kit or something you could put back there to turn it into a flat deck or mabey a giant sub enclosure,because i want to pitch the backseats alltogether. thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: rear seat delete?

The best thing to do would be to visit a local high performance audio shop and ask them about it. If they don't have one, they can probably make one. If they hesitate about being able to make one, go somewhere else.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

One thing you should know is that building a rear deck isn't going to net you any weight savings. If that's what you're doing this for, then you might as well forget about it. If you're doing it for looks, then rip the back seats out and have a deck built, or if you have the skills, build one yourself. Flat floors in hatchbacks look great.

I really wish there were a rear seat delete pre-molded carpet available. Light weight and good looks.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Overdrive Member

He is asking about putting subs in there soooo I think he is not looking for weight loss. I had at one time two 10in MTXs' with 24lb magnets. That weighed more than the back seat.
I took out the back seat in my 73 Fiat and built an enclosure. Its not that hard to do. I also built a box for my Camaro. The speakers cam with specs on the air space that was needed and I built them to fit those specs. The Fiat has a big encloser and free air speakers.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah, im not exactly worried about losing 30 lbs on pitching rear seats on a 305 tbi i just want it too look nice, because i realized how pointless it is to have seats when you need to be a midget, and by putting a sub enclosure back there, you will lose net weight by not dragging two more friends in the back

Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, in cars like the Camaro, the rear seats are there for insurance, so they don't call it a two-seater.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: vanilla sky

Yeah, in cars like the Camaro, the rear seats are there for insurance, so they don't call it a two-seater.
If it was all about insurance they would also make them four doors

Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a two door Accord that is classified as a "sporty sedan" by my insurance company. The seats in that car are at least somewhat usable. The camaro has so much less room in the back. More proof that it's not really there for anything other than a 3 year old.

And historically, rear seats were for insurance, so a car would be classified as a sedan, instead of a coupe.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

INTERESTING...but, more to the point, does has anyone bought or fabricated their own rear seat delete? im looking for some advise and tips. thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: vanilla sky

And historically, rear seats were for insurance, so a car would be classified as a sedan, instead of a coupe.
Well lets live in the now since the past is of no use.
We commonly use sedan to describe four doors and coupe to describe two door. When we order body parts and are asked if its a sedan or coupe we go by the number of doors.
The Camaro does not fall into the catagory of sedan. Too small inside. It is a coupe. But with four seats... go figure!

Quick Reply: rear seat delete?