Rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rear end

Got a question...how much power and torque will the stock rear take with the stock tires? and how bout with stickier tires? And, what is most likely to break, and where can i find an upgraded diff, with lsd, and i want 3.90 something or 4.11 gears, cause im going to be getting some big tires. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Rear end

ORIGINAL: Isphius

Got a question...how much power and torque will the stock rear take with the stock tires? and how bout with stickier tires? And, what is most likely to break, and where can i find an upgraded diff, with lsd, and i want 3.90 something or 4.11 gears, cause im going to be getting some big tires. Thanks!
With your mine set, that rear is not going to last long with the abuse you have planned. I would bet the fram that you don't even know what rear & gear ratio you have now.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

very little power and torque. the drive train in these cars left a lot to be desired. if you have the budget, get an aftermarket ford 9" rear or gm 12 bolt (moser and currie make housings that bolt right in to our cars).

Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the insult, i dont know what warranted it, but anyways. I know what rear the car has, I dont know the axle ratio because i didnt buy a camaro yet. And its going to be a weekend trailered bracket car, so yes im going to abuse the crap out of it. I would like to stick with all GM parts, But i do know those ford axles are very tough! I guess thats what ill have to do. But i still have the question, what will break first on the stock axle?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

in my car i got about 450 plus hp with a richmondlocker in my rear end with 373 gears and i havent broken anything YET! but im sure i will.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so the stock rear will hold up what i want it to with an aftermarket locker, which is also what i wanted! thanks! im only gona make about 400hp and NA, so no massive supercharged axle twisting torque, all high rpm power. I just have to work on building the 5000$ engine i have in mind, then find a car to put it in and then break parts and upgrade till im done!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Isphius

so the stock rear will hold up what i want it to with an aftermarket locker, which is also what i wanted! thanks! im only gona make about 400hp and NA, so no massive supercharged axle twisting torque, all high rpm power. I just have to work on building the 5000$ engine i have in mind, then find a car to put it in and then break parts and upgrade till im done!
Do you know what a "LOCKER" is??????

Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL dont pick on em Ive been told to go 8.8ford if ur not wanting to blow tons of cash but im not sure really if that is true
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: blackz87

Do you know what a "LOCKER" is??????

spool, no differential action? its going to be a budget(with the whole budget on the drive train) race car, im not driving it on the street. sorry if my "words" arent on par.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

if its a weekend warrior type deal, dont go with a gm rear end or even the ford 8.8, and for one reason, those c clip style rear ends are notorious for having the clips fall out and the alxes walk right off the car. so theres two options to avoid that. if your heart set on running a weak rear end with power, get a c clip eliminator kit, or go with a 9" rear end. that and the axle housings on our cars arent exactly that strong, so there is the possibility of twisting or breaking the housing.

Quick Reply: Rear end