rear brake rotor removal, assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default rear brake rotor removal, assistance needed

1986 z28. the manual says the rear rotors should side off. now considering 20 years of crap, crud, and rust, it should be a little tough. ive hammered the crap out of them, and made a make shift puller that got me no where. any tips, tricks, or tools to help?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: rear brake rotor removal, assistance needed

if your talking about the brake drum. use some WD-40 on the hub pilot and hammer the crap out of it. if your talking about rear disk breaks nevermind LMAO. Sick

Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
2nd Gear member

If there's alot of rust buildup, and you can get them off, you might wanna try to turn back the star wheel in the adjuster using a specialty tool (read flathead screwdriver) to bring the shoes inward, and then hammer it untill the rotor comes loose. If that doesn't work, consider yourself lucky to know that backplates are cheap and easy to install, despite the fact that you're gonna stink like gear oil, since you'll be needing to pry the rotor off of the hub assembly, and probably ruin the entire rear brake assembly in the process.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Overdrive Member

When the cars were new, and sometimes people will put them back on, there are retainers on one or two of the studs. You can try to unscrew them or just break them off if they are still there. Other than that it is just rusted to the hub so smacking it with a hammer between the studs will break it loose.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well, i was beating the crap out of it with a 3 pound hammer and it wasnt budging. my brother recomended heating the rotor til it was cherry red, and using wd-40 along the way to try and work it free, then beat it off.

fluffy, im not sure what you are meaning by damaging the entire brake system.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 AM
2nd Gear member

I mean if the drums are bad enough, and the adjuster won't move, you may have to pry the drum off, which will probably tear up the shoes, springs, adjusters, and possibly the backplate. When we did the disc brake conversion on my dad's Mustang, we had the same issue. There was probably well over a quarter inch of rust built up around the edge of the drums, and the adjusters were completely frozen.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Overdrive Member

I have had to use a slide hammer with the flat hook before to help. Go around a little at a time on work it off. dont try to get one corner loose. Work it evenly. You do have rear disc, right?

Old 12-03-2006, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear member

You know, I don't think he's said once on this post. But umm, how many people do you think actually have a slide hammer here? I bet that, you, myself, and like 4 other people have got them, and nobody else.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Tech Droid

Heat the drom up with a propane torch, when it is good an hot and the old grease starts to smoke, whack the drum near the hub with a 2 lb hammer a few times, and it will come loose. Don't burn your hands or set the car on fire.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: FlufyTiger
how many people do you think actually have a slide hammer here?
I know, but he might. Hey Pete said use a torch. How do we know he has anything larger than a cigarette lighter.
If it is drum rear. Does the drum turn a little before the wheel studs turn? If so then the drum is just stuck on the shoes. Try holding the drum as square to the backing plate as possible and turn while pulling it of. It will unscrew the drum off the shoes.

Quick Reply: rear brake rotor removal, assistance needed