Question about the Gas Tank...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Default Question about the Gas Tank...

Alright, so I"m new to this website, and I've got a question about my dad's car. He's got a 1985 Camaro with Tuned Port Injection. And it has been sitting ever since we got it back after it was stolen around 14 years ago. Since then it hasn't been able to run. Just recently my pops and I decided to begin to revive her, and we were going to start with dropping the fuel tank and completely flushing it all out. My question is, what would be the easiest way to do that? I'd appreciate any help, in detail. Thanks guys.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Question about the Gas Tank...

jack and a 2x4

Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Thank you very much.......for not noticing the whole "in detail" part of my question.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80163af5.jsp

Old 01-28-2007, 05:07 PM

lol thank you

Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Overdrive Member

That is a good detailed description except you do not need to completely remove the rear end. If you unbolt the shocks and the pan hard rod you can allow the rear to lower far enough to get the tank out. You wont have to fight with itor disconect the brake line. Just watch how much you stretch that line.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks man, that will make it a lot easier than completely dissassembaling the whole rear end of the car. Much appreciated brotha. [8D]

Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM

On my 89 IROC I just bought this past fall, the car has been sitting untouched for 9 years. Instead of that headache, I got a pump with a long hose and sucked it out into gas cans. I used an external fuel pump from a friends race car. Took me about 20-30 mins to drain and refill. That worked for me, no problems, car runs just fine.HTH

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Yea see, my pop and I thought about doing that, but there's a problem... The gas has been sitting in that tank for the past 14 years. It's formed into some kind of sludgey substance.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 AM
2nd Gear member

You might consider a new gas tank. Mine sat for 3 yrs. I first dropped mine and cleaned it out with a pressure washer and it actually did a good job. Several months later I had to remove it againbecause corrision had formed again. That's when I ordered a new tank. The new replacement isn't that expensive. Either way yougo make sure you flush outboth pressure and return lines since the tank is out. Removal isn't that hard, it just takes some time. As stated above drop your rear diff as low as possible, remove muffler and int pipe, heat shields,ect. Oh and don't forget a new fuel pump and strainer. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Question about the Gas Tank...