Project: "Pain in the ***"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Project: "Pain in the ***"

I'v been working on my Camaro for a year now this winter. When I bought my car it ran and I drove it off the lot. I drained the motor and let it sit over the winter. Every since then my car would not start,back fire,putter,or anything. I'v replaced the distributor and have no firing issues. Replaced the carb and I am getting gas into the intake but for some odd reason not to the spark plugs. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the reason for this is. I am guessing that it is my heads. Im going to pull the motor out and completely rebuild it and put in a new comp cam kit in it wail im at it. I was just wondering if any one had some input on this problem before I end Up finding out its not my heads. I could go into a big long story about everything but Id rather not Iv worked on the car all day and its drove me to buying a 12 pack.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont see how the heads are the issue. do you have the dizzy in correctly? its simple enough to really mess with your head. what type of fueling is it? did you check the fuel pressure? flow is only a part of the equation. does it run on starting fluid?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The motor is a 78 350 manual fuel pump and I havent checked the pressure. I pulled the carb off and theres like an inch of gas sittin in the intake but still the spark pluggs are dry as a bone. I pulled the intake to replace the gaskets on it and all the ports where clean...but one. It was a split port and it was completely clogged but there was no port connecting it to the heads and the gasket was made to block it off. I'm thinking something is clogged in the heads I don't know...Also I shot 50% ether into the carb and nothing ether. I got a *poof* outa the front of the carb with a little gas spit up but that was it and it wasnt a back fire or anything.

Last edited by xredwolfx; 09-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here is the intake

And here is the port that goes to no where on the heads and blocked by the gaskets. But here is the thing there is more gas in that port than any others.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

take the plugs out, check them for color of electrode, and crank engine for a few seconds and see if you get any squirts. and check your timing.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

hows your vacuum?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Something has to be clogged. It might be time to take it to the local mechanic.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

what else have u done to it??

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'v pulled the plugs out and cranked the motor over and it wasnt shooting anything out of the hole no gas at all but the hole it self was giving out good vacuum. It throws fire to the pluggs too.

Something has to be clogged. It might be time to take it to the local mechanic.
I don't believe in mechanics unless its rice burner lol.

Would timing and color of spark have anything to do with fuel getting to the plugs?...Im sparking yellow btw

Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by xredwolfx
I don't believe in mechanics unless its rice burner lol.

What exactly do you mean by that comment, there is nothing wrong with mechanics, IMO they know more about the problems your having than you do. And what does rice burners have to do with mechanics? No one ever mentioned rice burners

Quick Reply: Project: "Pain in the ***"