problems like usual

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default problems like usual

ok i have a 90 camaro v6 fi,evey so often it acts up and my check engine light pops up and the car when idle or at a stop light bogs out and dies then when i try to start it or some times ill go into a store and come out it will do this aswell, it doesnt start normal and i have to give it gas for it to start and keep it high for it to stay running..i replaced the map scensor and now its saying high circuit output/faulty from my O2 scensor i replaced that aswell and it doesnt seem to be to bad now but its will act up when i wants to and it will then again say O2 scensor ...im going to replace it again just to make sure but what do you guys think i could be and im kinda thinkin dould this be my ignition mod. acting up at all....

Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Default RE: problems like usual

I kinda have the same problem, if I'm running around town, my car will die stopped in traffic. I don't know why, and it sucks, cause apart from not being a good thing, it's kinda embarrassing. Still trying to figure it out. The guy I got the car from, had the 305 to 350 swap done, but I'm wondering if it's possible that he could have left the stock wiring harness on it, and if that would cause it?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear member

you guys have it easy. i got a carb and no money to fix or replace it. i will be driving through town in moving traffic and it will die. MOVING it will die. kinda gay the choke sticks it wont idle and it bogs down all the time. plus i cant even do burnouts anymore.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah i feel ya on the embarrisment part but I DONT GIVE A F*** lol! and i have a leak in my upstream exaughts donut before the O2 scensor so im really thinkin its what causing the O2 sensor to read wrong and then f up everything but we shall c in a couple of days when o fix it ....

Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Overdrive Member

After you replace an item and disconect the battery to clear the code do you drive it around for a while or is it a short trip and then to the Camaro forum to post? My brother has a 90 RS with a 3.1 and when he does any work like that it takes a few drive cycles for the computer to relearn.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

both actually ill replace the part and while im doing the job ill disconnect the terminals and then hook back up when all done and drive around for a while ...

Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

how longs it been since you changed your fuel filter?a stopped up fuel filter will actually cause all the symptoms you discribed. that or a bad fuel pump/pressure regulator

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

wow good question...who knows!??, but i know it primes up when starting

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: FunkyColdMedina

wow good question...who knows!??, but i know it primes up when starting
all that means is your pumps working.what i'm saying is low fuel pressure can cause all symproms listed including o2 sensor codes.matter of fact anyworthwhile shop will recomend changeing the filter first then a fuel pressure test,and then an o2 sensor as a last resort.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Problem is the fuel fouled oxygen sensor can be the result of about half the parts on your engine. If something is wrong with a sensor or an actuator but it is not enough to set a code itselfthe result will be a either to rich or too lean. If the computer can not adjust enoght to fix the problem you get the code. Map sensor is one of the comon issues. Also EGR valve is a very comon problem. Thottle position sensor coolant temp.

EGR valve should only be open while driving. If it get all gumed up it can not close all the way and this causes a very ruff idle and a bad hesitation. sometimes you can just tap, im mean tap, the side of the EGR valve and the engine might smooth out.

all most everything else I would use a scan tool to checkbut there are manual ways to check.

Quick Reply: problems like usual