Problem with 87 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Problem with 87 camaro

I have an 87 Camaro. It has a 305 with a quadra junk. I had the intake replaced a while back and the mechanic cracked the intake. So he replaced it with an edlebrock non egr intake. Ever since then I have had a problem. After getting on it and coming out of passing gear it will try to stall out and you can smell gas if it actually dies out. Usually you can feather the gas till it lets you have some peddle back. But if you don't feather the peddle and just try to give it more gas you get nothing. Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Any difference in how it runs between a hot and cold engine?
Possible reasons:
Choke adjustment: is the butterfly closed or almost closed when cold, and completely open when hot? If electric choke, did the wire get hooked back up. If mechanical, did the linkage get reattached?
Vacuum leak; a split/disconnected hose, open port at the carb, carb base gasket leak, or bad gasket seal between intake and heads.
Carb float level not right, bowl either flooding over or running dry.
Fuel pump acting up (coincidence).
Engine running hot, and/or base of carb getting too hot, which can percolate the gas from the bowl. Possible causes of too hot a carb could be the lack of an insulator tin piece that the stock intake manifold had on the bottom side. Some people fail to transfer that "unnecessary" piece from the old intake manifold to the new one. On a summer only engine, I prefer to block off the exhaust crossover ports on the intake manifold, it gives you a cooler running carb.
Ask your mechanic what he did.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Did you take it back to the mechanic and explain these problems, that surfaced after they worked on it?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is this the original computer controlled carb that would have come on you 87 stock? They are a different animal and should not be messed with unless the person knows what he is doing.

If I remember right (this is almost 30 years for me) the 87 had a stepper motor to prevent stalling on rapid deceleration. They needed it because they kept the idle RPMs so low to save gas.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Any difference in how it runs between a hot and cold engine?
Possible reasons:
Choke adjustment: is the butterfly closed or almost closed when cold, and completely open when hot? If electric choke, did the wire get hooked back up. If mechanical, did the linkage get reattached?
Vacuum leak; a split/disconnected hose, open port at the carb, carb base gasket leak, or bad gasket seal between intake and heads.
Carb float level not right, bowl either flooding over or running dry.
Fuel pump acting up (coincidence).
Engine running hot, and/or base of carb getting too hot, which can percolate the gas from the bowl. Possible causes of too hot a carb could be the lack of an insulator tin piece that the stock intake manifold had on the bottom side. Some people fail to transfer that "unnecessary" piece from the old intake manifold to the new one. On a summer only engine, I prefer to block off the exhaust crossover ports on the intake manifold, it gives you a cooler running carb.
Ask your mechanic what he did.
Runs the same hot or cold. I was thinking vacuum. I'll check the other things also.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Harlock
Did you take it back to the mechanic and explain these problems, that surfaced after they worked on it?
Me and the mechanic had a falling out cause he tried to charge me for the new intake when he admitted he cracked the old one with his impact wrench.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Is this the original computer controlled carb that would have come on you 87 stock? They are a different animal and should not be messed with unless the person knows what he is doing.

If I remember right (this is almost 30 years for me) the 87 had a stepper motor to prevent stalling on rapid deceleration. They needed it because they kept the idle RPMs so low to save gas.
It's the original carb. Quadra jet. The mechanic also took the liberty of "tweeking" the carb. Was thinking if I can't find a vac problem of getting a new carb.