Pre Purchase Checklist Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Default Pre Purchase Checklist Questions

New forum member here. Very experienced car guy. Very active in the old car hobby and other hobby websites BUT-

Not a camaro geek. So I have some questions and need some assistance and answers.

I am going to look at a roller, non running 1986 Z28 IROC tomorrow. It is 100% intended to be a full-on project and not a jump in and driver car.

It is black with IROC Z emblems on doors. $1000 obo. Here is what I want to do: Buy it for $500 and body on restore it, add some hp (not crazy) and restore the interior and enjoy driving it in my collection about 2000 miles ayear for the next 25 years.

I am 49. I would anticipate a 3-4 year restoration. This car is obviously 27 years old. I was 22 when this hit the street new and these were common (as were Mustang GT's) for the next several years. I remember that young "kids" flush with blue collar job money or richer parents would drive these and laugh at my Ford Fairmont and other beater cars I HAD to buy because of my economic condition.

But I also rented a room from a Chevy dealership mechanic who at the time told me this generation of Camaros "handled better then a Corvette."

Obviously that stuck in my mind. I once entertained buying one of these that was a mess in Houston TX. Motor was built and the hood wouldn't go down. I found a great deal of these cars were - once the original drivetrain was removed - were never going back together.

Owners would say they "just wanted it gone" and so on having given up trying to figure out the gremlins. So, I passed and moved on to other interests.

I have never been a Chevy or Ford guy. I owned a 63 Nova 2 door hardtop in college (one of the cars that guys with 79-81 Z28's laughed at) but have always gravitated toward oddball cars. I own a Packard, a 49 Chrysler, some Buick muscle and so on.

I have spent at least $5000 in transport costs cumulative in bringing some of my 8 cars in. So, I had started canvassing local Craigs List ads for cars of interest so I could maybe get more car for the money.

I tried to think about my searches. Having always liked the looks and personality of the 80's Z28's I did a price parameter search for "Z28" and was pleasantly surprised.

One stuck out because it was about ready to drop off Craigs List with no interest and was in my bckyard so to speak, so I made email contact and hoping to go see it tomorrow.

It's got IROC Z on the doors, is black, and is a non T Top car (OK by me) It's an 86 model. $1000 obo.

I want to just pick up a SBC and massage it for a few more hp but am more interested in handling and overall driveability. I have a 1970 Buick Wildcat with a 455 I will be building for hp and a 73 Buick with another 455 for that BB feeling.

I am also a Porsche guy. You may see my dilemma that I am not all in on any make or model. So my goal with this Z28 is a nice 350 SB, a posi and the best damn suspension I can get. Create a car that I can thoroughly drive and enjoy about 2000 miles a year with confidence and preserve an increasingly rare car for the future.

Being a Buick, Olds, Porsche, Packard etc guy I have always envied the Chevy and Ford guys that could practically build a car from a catalog. Enough of the backsotry, here are my questions/concerns:

1. Can I build and install a non computer SBC in this car that appears fairly stock without too much modification?

2. What areas should I be looking at as "non starter" concerns for rust or wear?

3. Can I get the IROC Z decals if I need to do a full body restoration?

4. Are there vendors to help restore the interior?

5. What is the actual difference between an IROC Z and a "base" Z28?

6. Are parts plentiful or getting scarce? This car has Trans Am wheels on it, for instance.

7. Any head scratching problems with the suspension or pretty straight forward?

8. Glass (mostly windshield) available or hard to find?

9. Brake components available/upgradable?

10. Parts support overall good / bad / issues?

Thanks to all who comment. I don't jump into purchases emotionally anymore. I really don't want the "buy the best car out there" concept because my thinking is if I do it, do it right, then it's done for good. These cars I think were rode hard and put away wet - from actual observation - an I just want a project that I can build my way and know it's done right (note: am an ASE Master Tech with decent tools and heated/air cond garage).

Thanks again -

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Dont have all the answers to all the questions but I do for a few. Number 2. Rust areas are the rear wheel wells, floors, under the trunk lid(at least it was for me), battery tray. 3. and 4. IROC decals are available. vendors are hawks third gen, ricks camaros, camaro central, and classic industries, and of course ebay. All those places should have everything you would need to do interior and exterior. 6. Parts are there but some are expensive so getting IROC wheels could be like $600 for a set from an aftermarket retailer. 8. Glass is available from the vendors or you can try a junkyard as well. 9. Brakes are available and can be changed from drum to disc.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the response. I should be going to look at this car fairly soon today.