Possible new to me camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Possible new to me camaro

I am going to look at a roller t-top 87 camaro From the pictures the body looks to be in pretty good shape. I am going to be checking for rust and any other flaws in the car. I also want to run the VIN numbers to make sure there is not any pre-existing hidden damage

http://evansville.craigslist.org/pts/2144475942.html

opinions are welcome. I would love to hear from people as to whether this is a good deal or not. I was thinking of offering him 350 cash and see if he will take it (broke college kid)

Last edited by cmcz450; 01-06-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
4th Gear Member

it's entirely up to you. Check out my 89 restoration thread. I paid $500 and it had new tires, the brakes were actually good and all of the parts and no rust. yes, I'm restoring it and rebuilding engine and tranny but it did run and with some minor repairs (pinion seal, loose tilt steerign wheel and tranny mount) it could have been driven for a while.

You have no intake to transfer to a long block so you need an entire engine. You have no tranny and does it even have the wiring harness or accessories? You don't get accessories with engines unless you buy a beat used engine so you'll need those too.

Only you know how much you want to bite off and how much money and time you have to do the project.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i can tell you off the bat the front end is not original. that nose is for the 82-84 years. and oddly enough, there was an identical car sold near me a while ago that the guy used solely for drag racing, and sold it as a roller

Old 01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Personally, I hate base model Camaros, especially the 82-84 years. That car is really ugly to me.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I plan to run the VIN and make sure this thing is not complete junk. The owner texted me and told me it has a built 355 being pulled as we speak. Good eye on the bumper. I guess I should say this also, I plan to buy it and preserve it. I am not going to be building this in a year nor 5 for that matter. It will not be a drag racer or street racing car, just a car for me to enjoy. I drive my truck daily so I can work on this for years. I want to put a 350 tpi in it. I plan to get a paint job because that color is ugly. Again this isn't going to be happening anytime soon, I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed over as well so when we meet Monday I will keep what yall have said in mind and thanks! I realize that I will need a wiring harness and etc, but my question is will I have electrical issues with the dash? In one of the pictures it has 3gauges above the radio??? I'm assuming those aren't stock... Sorry to be long winded and thanks in advance for your alls help. It's nice to have somewhere to go to learn. I'll try searching for your thread torque is good but if I can't find it I'll pm you for a link thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just curious can you mount 87-92 front bumper in place of what is there?? Sorry for all the newbie questions...I'm on my phone out to eat lol

Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Its possible, but if I were you, I would search for a Camaro that was originally equipped with a 350 TPI. It would eliminate the hassle of a swap.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Still on my phone and will use the search function when I'm home but is going from a 305 TBI to 350 tpi extensive electronic work?