posi-trac vs limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default posi-trac vs limited slip

i have a slip and slide rear end with 2.77 gears in it. i heard that the rs camaros had posi. is this statement true? and can i put slicks on my car with a stock rear and it wont blow? i hear that they're tough, but i dont have an extra diff. so i dont wanna try. i do burnouts all day and it has no problems sooo....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: posi-trac vs limited slip

A 305 with 2.77 gears, posi, and slicks is going to have a tough time making any burnouts. Sooner or later everything breaks, and with and a 9 bolt rear, posi, slicks,and a 383 engine it will be sooner rather than later.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Don't get hung up on these "nicknames" for rearends. If you have it you can call it a posi ora LSD or whatever. The name isn't important but what you are trying to describe is two rear wheels that spin at the same time when you hit the gasin a straight line.
Easy to test
Turn the car off, block the front wheels and lift the rear of the car by the middle of the rearend with a floor jack.Take the car out of park and make sure the E-brake is off. Lay on the ground by onerear wheel and spin it with you hand. If the wheel on the other side spins at the same speed and same directioncongratulations, you have a Limited SlipDifferential. AKA posi or whatever.

There is no way that all RS Camaros have it. The only way to know is to test. Even if you have the RPOcode (G80 Rear Axle, Limited Slip) the rearends in these cars are easy to change andyour car could be on the third rearend by now

Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: z28pete

A 305 with 2.77 gears, posi, and slicks is going to have a tough time making any burnouts. Sooner or later everything breaks, and with and a 9 bolt rear, posi, slicks,and a 383 engine it will be sooner rather than later.
Right, your gonna break it with extra power and slicks. If you stick to the track and get good 60 foot times it will break pretty quick

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear member

actually my diff. has never been changed. i just want posi so i dont have to keep swaping my tires after burnouts to keep even tread. im not gonna drag race my car, i just wanna find out my time then its just gonna be a weekend driver.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i've done a burn out with 2.73 and slick's. my motor loved every second of it. just that my car slowed down on the track.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 AM

hey, i had an incident with my 91 rs. i bought the car a year and a half or so ago and i got it from a dealer who said it was posi trac and i looked at it and confirmed. what i didn't know at the time was that the posi trac was broken all to hell and only one wheel was spinning. i had never driven a camaro before the one i have now, which has recently been totaled due the rear diff. i had a few people do some research on it (because i have no time) but, could any of you tell me how tough one of those is? mine is totally ruined but, if i get a replacement should i go aftermarket?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should start a new thread this one is old and tired. lol. if its stock a stock rearend will do just fine.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

wow, yeah this is an old thread, but hows this for everybody, Rs's never came with Posi, only the Z28's Iroc's Formula's and TA's got Posi as an Option

only way an RS has posi is if its swapped in, or aftermarket

and RS camaro's came with 2.73's or 3.08's(auto and Manual trans)

Last edited by Caveman305; 10-27-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: posi-trac vs limited slip