planned list of mods, looking for opinions/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default planned list of mods, looking for opinions/suggestions?

alrighty, here is my list of planned mods for this summer. im on a very limited budget (about $1000 or less):
removing the cat and replacing with a moroso spiral flow race muffler (no emissions here, friendly mechanic)
throttle body air foil
hedman headers and y-pipe
aluminum 2 core radiator
timing chain (stock)
accel coil
derale tranny pan
aluminum rear gear cover
k&n filters
full syn gear and tranny oils
shocks
fuel injectors (should i stay at 19lb injectors or go to 22lb injectors?)

i am also getting some other things like a dashpad, lugnuts, tinted windows, and repairing my fan control and a/c.

i also have hopes of buying the following, but will most likely not be able to afford it:
slp runners
slicks
lakewood traction-action bars
prom chip
52mm throttle body

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 AM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: planned list of mods, looking for opinions/suggestions?

watch when you change your tranny oils... last i heard if you dont do it before a certain time, its best to just leave it in untill a problem arises... stay with stock injectors untill you have something putting in more air to mix with that extra fuel.

the tinted windows... DONT GO BELOW LEGAL LIMIT... found out the hard way. 83 dollars later i still gotta take it off...

personally, i would ditch the cosmetic stuff and go for the mechanical stuff to make the car stronger and faster... but thats me, im not one to worry about looks more than function...

Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

the a/c repairs might suck up that 1000 bucks, if its not a simple recharge. im sure its different for each car, but my dads towncar cost 980 bucks to repair his a/c. they replaced the compressor and recharged the system. my dad refused to have a towncar without a/c which is very understantable.lol. my camaro doesnt have a/c. i love the wind. as long as i have heat im fine. i love heat, hate the cold.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Well i'd stick with the 19lb injectors if u get them because you dont really have anything big done to the engine in terms of heads or cam so you dont really need more gas. As for the 52 mm tb, id go with the 58mm. Its obviously bigger and going to allow more airflow but the 58 is only a little more expensive but its worth the extra few hp. If i were you id get the headers and y, the 58 mm tb, maybe some higher flowing runners and intake, and k&n. Now your whole engine is pretty much upgraded execpt for heads and cam. So you could think about gears (3.73 not 4.10s too big for camaro) and 3000 stall.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Personally, i agree with 350rs and say that looks come way after performance. I would go with a K&N cold air intake to a Billet 58mm throttle body. I think the headers with the y pipe is your best idea up there and if your not worrying about emmisions, ide remove the cat and just put a strait pipe in. And with a good lift cam and a decent rear end gear (3.23 - 3.73), you couold be pushin 14 seconds and still be right under that thousand dollar mark.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

for the injectors, i think a few of mine might be clogged or otherwise not functioning properly, but its just a guess. i prolly cant afford them at the moment.

as for the a/c, it might just be an electrical issue becuase the compressor isnt kicking on. whatever controls the clutch isnt functioning.

the throttle body will also run out my budget as well, i might get that though when i stick the cam in. i may also get the runners at that point too. but i read in an old article, a 350 only gained 23 hp with a prom, runners, and full exhaust. for $350, the runners arent going to help me much now. im not sure though if i want to put a 383 in it with the tpi, or stick with a carb.

im not doing any gear swaps because the car will be a daily commutor until i either get my geo street legal, or buy a motorcycle. it will be 100 highway miles weekdays, and 250 highway miles on weekends. the 2.73 in there will suffice for me.