NOS 'safe shot' system. ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default NOS 'safe shot' system. ??

I found a NOS system advertised as a 'safe shot'. Adds about 35 horse. They call it a basic, starter NOS kit. Im wondering if a healthy 2 bolt like mine could handle that extra bit of power. I know I bounce this idea from time to time, and I always shy away because I dont wanna blow my shti up. So I think she could handle it, but is it worth 300 bucks for a quick 35hp? I really cant bolt much else on the engine, Im kind of modded out.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

not familiar with the details of your engine. ignition upgrades, compression ratio, octane of gas run? stock internals? what year is the 350, and is it us or mexico made?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

My signature line says most of it. Shes a 1974 block, upgraded pistons ( not stock but not super top end, mid range performance. I dont remember specifics) Stock crank, upgraded cam, Vortec heads, standard Acell aftermarket ignition, Holley 670 on the top.
I dont know my compression ratio, I assume its that of a normal SBC with vortecs and normal thickness felpro headgaskets. I run 92 octane when the wallet permits, but since I went to the vortecs I can run 87 with no pre detonation.

I wanna juice her for 3 reasons. 1) Because Ive never played with nitrous 2) Because I really want a little more seat of the pants ooomph when I open it up and 3) because I can

Im just afraid Im going to blow out my bottom end or frag a piston. I know Ill feel an extra 35 horse...but Im pretty heavy on the throttle and I just dont want to blow my car up. So is this setup worth it, or am I treading into the realm of fart can mufflers and K&N air filters???

ZEX Safe Shot Nitrous System 82357 | eBay

Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

NOS has a similar system called the "sneaky Pete". It was desinged for V6's.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the sneaky pete wasnt designed for v6's, its designed to hide in roll cage tubes for when you need an extra boost.

as for your setup scott, it will handle it no problem. the older engine, albeit 2 bolt, is stronger than the later 2 bolts. you would be safe up to a 75 shot on those internals if used correctly. now is the 35 a dry or wet system? that low of an amount im thinking is a dry system, which is ok if the carb is jetted a bit rich at wot. running 89 with it would be the safest option and just check the plugs after the first couple of uses. and it would be safe to put in a wot switch so you dont accidently hit the nitrous when it isnt full throttle. if you do, well, im sure you can see plenty of vids on youtube

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 AM

lmao only ricer use nitrous! Camaros have the torque and hp without it

Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drexg
lmao only ricer use nitrous! Camaros have the torque and hp without it
Drex, go away. The adults are having a conversation here.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

your engine will handle a 100 or more shot. if it was built right with good quality parts it will handle more than a 100 shot. the trick??? getting the fueling and timing right. period. now i know its not the same engine but. i had an 02 silverado with a 5.3 in it. full bolt on with cam, springs, and hardened pushrods. i also ran iridium plugs. i ran a 175 shot with 30* timing. yes it can be done. but that truck also sat on a dyno for about 6 hours getting the fueling right. off spray a 13.8 and 12.9 air fuel. on spray 12.69 and 11.9 to 12.4 air fuel.

run better plugs that are a step cooler. also remember that nitrous is just like boost it loves free flowing exhaust.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

30* BASE???

No way Id go that high. (timing or shot!)

I dont have dyno access, and Im not looking to micro tune it, just give me that extra WOT burst. Assuming I hook it up correctly, install a WOT switch, how much fatter would I have to run it, and how much would I have to play with the timing? ? Im currently running a .35 main jet on my holley (and Im very happy with my off the line performance with that jet.) and about 14 degrees base timing. I HATE ****ing with timing, I never get it just right and it always takes some old gearhead to tweak it just right.....

Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 AM
4th Gear Member

Well that "extra WOT burst" is gone to cost you down the road in a couple of ways. 1) don't get caught with that WOT and the Nitrous Bottle connected while driving on a Public street. 2) With a wore out engine and a few shots of the bottle, plan on having a lot of down time.

Last edited by blackz87; 05-06-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: NOS 'safe shot' system. ??