no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Default no spark

I was putting my car away for the winter when it turns off, I try cranking it and nothing happens. all the lights work and I check the battery is good also I just changed the altenator a month ago, I thought it was the pump but the filter is full of it and the carburator is throwing fuel. I changed the spark plugs today and still nothing what can it be???

Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: no spark

check your spark plug wires and distributor, your distributor is what sends the spark thru the spark plug wires

Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Do you have the external coil or the huge HEI with coil in the cap? If it external pull the coil wire from the cap and see if it will spark to a ground. Check for power to the coil. You can do that with either system. If there is power and no spark then maybe your module took a poop.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally would just put a new cap and rotor on it if I didn't have a DVOM. My guess is that its an HEI.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 PM

I jsu cahge today the ignition module,a dn the coil with one from accel. nothing happen. I started hitting the starter and it crank a little tomorrow im gonna changed the starter got a big feeling both the module and starter went bad

Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Wait wait, your starter doesn't even click?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

but, it cranked a little you said? How did it act? I'm curious now :P

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM

yup yesterday i changed the starter and it started cranking but woulndt turn over, right after that i crank it again and a big spark came out of the starter like two times, after that i went back to how it was before, no crank, no nothing. (i think mechanic is not my talent) lol

Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Somebody PLEASE buy this kid a manual.......[]

Is your battery fully charged? (Yes, we know your lights and such work, but does a voltmeter show at least 12 volts?)

Is the engine not cranking, cranking but not firing? A spark from your starter could have been fron a loose or faulty wire. Stop throwing parts at the car until you diagnose the real culprit.

(Mike, shut up, I know what you are thinking....I WANTED to change all my suspension parts!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Scott,
I was just gonna ask if you could offer him a spare hammer/harley tool.

But better yet I think we need a working vocabulary.
I think the majority of us, when we read "the engine would not crank" think that the starter is not rotating the engine. Coming from the olden times of the hand crank that had to be used to rotate the engine to start the cars. Not the same at start or fire up. I once had an old foregn guy tell me his engine would turn over but it would not crank. That confused the hell out of me.
Also if the engine was not turning over why would you replace the spark plugs? Thats also a bit confusing. If the starter is not turning the engine that would be the first thing to fix.

Quick Reply: no spark