Nice. Found a great find.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Nice. Found a great find.

Been trying to find a decent 5 speed camaro z28 or better for ages now. (Have my 85 z28 auto currently.)

Finally found a nice 1889 blue iroc z, with a ton of work done to it but not butchered like most are around here. (Most of the time they are sold with no back seats, AC delete, missing headliners etc.)

This one's inside is mostly unmangled, bit of wear on steering wheel and drivers seat but nothing crazy. owner owns a body shop out there but is moving. Ton of work done to it and i quote

"There is no sun fade at all on this car. TPI fuel injected v8 engine, t5 world class tranny, posi rear, this car is dent and scratch free. This is a t-top model, t-tops don't leak a drop, car runs and drives excellent with no issues. Recent work done to this car is:

It had an intake manifold leak so we removed the entire fuel injected system from this car. I had the lower plentum ported and polished.

New aftermarket fuel injecters and all fel pro qaskets used on the re installation.

front and back brakes

struts and shocks

inner and outer tye rod ends

both ball joints were replaced

3 inch flowmaster exhaust and cat back system

New back system installed which is the vehicle anti-theft system

This is a beautful turn key daily driver With a posi-rear, t-tops is the perfect car for someone to just jump in and drive

Heat and ac work excellent "

Checked it out but it's too snowy to drive it right now. Dropped a deposit on it. Sounds like it may have a cam but the owner isn't sure by the way it's idling.

Going to have him throw it on the lift saturday and i'll check the underbody but he says its in good shape.

Carfax comes back clean aside from the fact nothing exists on it until 2003 and the milage is only listed as 25k, but he says its round 135k.

No smoke on startup... Even has original radio etc (which I will sadly be taking out and putting mine from my z28 into.)

Only issue is it is a 305, not 350... but he says it is the 1LE package supposedly (need to check the the code.. just need to remember where it's located to check), but here in NYC really where will I get to use a 350 anyway...

I'd post pics but don't have any other than the ones on his craigslist posting yet, but I'll post them once I get it home if I grab it this weekend... Just need to test drive / ensure all works.

There was sadly a problem starting it up that he was a bit unaware of. It had been sitting for weeks and struggled to start / took some gas pumping on startup. Once it started and warmed a bit it was ok, but it did struggle a bit on startup which should not happen with TPI correct?

Anythings I should look out for with it?

Thanks,
Bez

Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM

pics , pics pics!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear member

its ok you wouldnt get a 350 with a manual tranny anyways. at least not stock. sounds like a great find. sounds like maybe the fuel system just needed to reprime itself from sitting so long.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 AM

I had thought my 1988 camaro was old but sheesh man 1888 you got about a 100 years on me...haha jp, but it sounds like you got a good piece your lookin at. you have any plans once you get it or you just gonna play with it for a while first?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redngold88
I had thought my 1988 camaro was old but sheesh man 1888 you got about a 100 years on me...haha jp, but it sounds like you got a good piece your lookin at. you have any plans once you get it or you just gonna play with it for a while first?
Wow.. good job me with the fat fingering... 1989 obviously.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Damn that's an old camaro! Steam powered TPI no doubt?

LOL!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Damn that's an old camaro! Steam powered TPI no doubt?

LOL!
Yeah! Steam powered TPI. The rear hatch has been replaced with a chimney for the coal....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah that sounds like a fantastic car. But, as stated above, there were no third gens with a manual tranny and a 350 stock (that hit production anyway).
The stated difference between the TPI 305 and 350 is nominal anyway (like 10-20hp difference depending on the year).

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah. I'm not too upset that its just a 305. My 305 in my z28 i dependable as hell, so I'm not going to complain.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:57 PM

i know what its supposed to be but its fun to point out the things that people mess up by accident...

Quick Reply: Nice. Found a great find.