Newbee; 1992 RS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Default Newbee; 1992 RS questions

Hello, I just acquired a 92 Camaro RS from my mother (original owner) that is in pretty rough shape. The body and drive train are in good shape, but it needs paint and a lot of little stuff -- new struts for the front hood and rear hatch, new window motors, new carpet, etc., not to mention a really good, deep cleaning inside and out. I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic and have restored a couple of vehicles, to include a 1982 Corvette. However, I have a couple of immediate issues I need to address and could use some advice.

It sounds like the car has a small exhaust leak. You can't hear it when the car isn't under load (i.e when it's just ideling or when your give it the gas in park or neutral). However, when you accelerate while driving you can hear a ticking sound. I've had exhaust leaks before and this sound is very familiar. Also, I just drove her over 500 miles from Nevada to her new home here in Tucson AZ and she ran great -- temps around 200-220 the whole way with it being 100 plus outside, plenty of power. But you could hear this annoying ticking as you accelrated onto the interstate or from a stop. Once up to speed you couldn't noticie it. It sounds like it's coming from the left (driver side) of the engine and I'm thinking it's the exhaust manifold. Has anyone else experianced this? Any ideas where I should look for a leak?

Next, the window motor on the driver's side is shot (doesn't work at all) and the one on the passanger side is on it's way out (works very slowly if at all). I just ordered new ones from parts direct and they should be here in a few days -- any advice on replacing them. I know you have to drill out the rivets; but beyond that any short cuts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as my user name (BowtieOnly) goes; I'm over 40 and all I've ever owned (or wanted to own) are Chevy's. My first car was a '71 Monte Carlo SS. Since then there have been a varity of Camaros, Chevy trucks, Corvettes and even an El Camino. Currently we have an 05 Monte Carlo LS, '87 Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette, and (now) the '92 Camaro RS. Every Chevy we've ever owned has been a great experiance. Although the '92 Camaro needs a lot of tender loving care, she just turned over 170K miles and still runs as strong as the day she was bought.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: Newbee; 1992 RS questions

Welcome

Definitly sounds like the manifold to me

After drilling out the old motor, just be careful not to let the window slip and break, but other than that should be in and out no problem

Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Default RE: Newbee; 1992 RS questions

ORIGINAL: nj85z28

Welcome

Definitly sounds like the manifold to me

After drilling out the old motor, just be careful not to let the window slip and break, but other than that should be in and out no problem
Thanks, Got the new motors in with very little trouble -- just a few scrapped knuckles. As far as the leak goes, it was the driverside exhaust manifold gasket. Dropped the new ones in and she's running as good as new again. Now it's on to cleaning up the interior before a new paint job.