New owner, I need some parts and some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:18 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default New owner, I need some parts and some help!

I'm picking up my "new" camaro tomarrow. It's a 1986 Z28 5.0 TPI. It's silver, t-tops, and a few other options. However, it needs some work and I have questions.

Idler pulley noise. It's not a rattle or grind, but it's not good. It's actually louder than the exhaust, but it isn't really that loud. Could it be loose (it has some minor play)? Should I replace the pulley, or by a new water pump (I dont know how old it is, it is on my list)? I'm leaning towards the replacement of the water pump and radiator because there is a leak somewhere, but I can't find it. How hard is it to replace a water pump? I have minimal tools and no garage.

Underdrive pulleys. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but will fiy the 1986 TPI. I checked Jeg's, but they don't have a very descrptive description.

Electrical work. The owner says the fuse for the instruments will just pop when you are driving down the road. Also, the fan control isn't working, but the motor to move the vents does. What could be the problem with the fan? For the gauges, I don't know where to start.

Aligning doors. How should I go about doing this? They line up, but the driver's side is tough to move and has a few spots where it goes down and up. They line up though. Should I get new hinges?

Best manual? My brother told me to get a Hayne's since it has a wiring diagram in the back, and even though I am only 16, I try to do all my work myself. I have a great understanding of electronics, so the wiring diagrams don't phase me.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: New owner, I need some parts and some help!

ok i have a 1986 z28 as well but it is carbed and ur instrument problem there is a short somewhere i am a certified electonics tech and that is definately what it sounds like. you should trace the wires from the dash to the fuse panel and the from the fuse panel back. now the waterpup probably should be replaced because more than likely it is original and 20 years old. not that expensive either. the leak problem you just have to clean it up and then start the car and watch for it. it could be comin from the goose neck which is ur thermostat housing locater on the front top of ur block. now a haynes manual is good for the basics but not very detailed but its cheap. the way to go if you have the money is a chiltond book it is 3 times the size of the haynes but this is because it is very detailed but the haynes runs about $20 and the chiltons runs 50 - 100 dependin on where you get it. the doors. camaros are notorious for this. yes if you can get a set of hinges replace them and make sure the wholes arent wollered out if you can understand that. sorry redneck form southern maryland.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:20 AM
2nd Gear member

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=626&ptset=A

Chilton's $20 at advance Auto Parts

Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

damn i never seen chiltons at advanced and never that cheap. i need to look for that.,