New guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
you got any plans for this one or d'you think you'll keep it original?
If it is a true 350 Camaro I'll probably either put in some aggressive cams and some engine work or do a 383 stroker but this is a project car so we shall see how it ends up. It will be an adventure to say the least. I still don't know what color I want to go with either, thinking jet black with the hood louvers painted cherry red, but paint and body work will probably be first thing I do.

Originally Posted by KissMyTush
Welcome to the forum man!
Thanks for the welcome and I feel this is my new home next to the Silverado and Subaru forums (just lurk on there). So far the Camaro forums are a step up from the Subaru forums, the WRXs are becoming cheaper and now kids can pick them up so the forums are steadily going down hill. Seems like here most of the Camaro's are adult owned and everyone is pretty mature on the forums, you can't ask something on the Subaru forums with out someone posting how to use to use the search button lol.

Last edited by irocsteve87; 01-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

After some searching I found this so I will check all this out when I go back to pick up the car.

1987 was the last year for Camaros to be produced at the Norwood Ohio plant, the original Camaro Plant. After much testing the year before, the 350 TPI and 5 Speed 305 TPI combinations were finally available on the IROC-Z28. The 350 was only available in the IROC-Z and only with an automatic transmission. The exterior differed in appearance only by `5.7 Tuned Port Injection' badges rather than `Tuned Port Injection' badges. The TPI 350 motor was not visually distinguishable from the TPI 305. A few things can be used to disinguish a 350 TPI from a 305 TPI though. (other than the badges, which are often changed to sell a 305 TPI as a 350 TPI). All TPI 350 IROC-Z's (1987-1990) and all TPI 350 Z28's (1991-1992) had automatic transmissions and most had rear disc brakes. The eighth digit of the VIN is an `8' for 350 TPI's and an `F' for 305 TPI's. The service parts identification list in the center console glovebox will list the code B2L and L98 for a 350 TPI, LB9 for a 305 TPI. The under hood sticker should list the motor as a 5.7 liter rather than a 5.0 liter. All TPI 350 (1987-1992) Camaros had a tach with yellow at 5000 and red at 5500. They also all came with the Borg Warner 9 Bolt and 3.27's in 87 only, other years it was optional.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by irocsteve87
If it is a true 350 Camaro I'll probably either put in some aggressive cams and some engine work or do a 383 stroker but this is a project car so we shall see how it ends up. It will be an adventure to say the least. I still don't know what color I want to go with either, thinking jet black with the hood louvers painted cherry red, but paint and body work will probably be first thing I do.
Sounds interesting- although personally if the paint is as good as it looks in the pictures I'd want to leave it alone. Why spend money you don't have to, right?

Here's one of mine, if ya want to see how black looks on these cars~
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../car/006-1.jpg

Best of luck checking it out and let us know how it goes, eh?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member
Cool

Originally Posted by irocsteve87
Thanks for the welcome and I feel this is my new home next to the Silverado and Subaru forums (just lurk on there). So far the Camaro forums are a step up from the Subaru forums, the WRXs are becoming cheaper and now kids can pick them up so the forums are steadily going down hill. Seems like here most of the Camaro's are adult owned and everyone is pretty mature on the forums, you can't ask something on the Subaru forums with out someone posting how to use to use the search button lol.

Anytime man! Yeah I see alot of WRXs around here where I live. I like them alot and I was actually pondering on getting one, but when all of the inexperienced kids started being able to afford them I decided to stay away and get something more rare. There are only a handful of F-Bodys here where I live. There is one guy that I personally know that has one but we are two of the select few. The is maybe one or two first gens in this area but all of them are buried in barns or rusted out. very sad. I love my 4th gen though!

I am 19 but I grew up very independently so I had to man up and mature alot sooner than most kids. My parents divorced when I was young so I had to take over and be the man of the house, cut fire wood, figure out all of the handyman stuff on my own, while my Mom worked to support us. I graduated highschool at 16 and I am in my last year of college right now.

Most people think my dad bought my car or something when they first see me driving a LS1 4th gen, but I earned the money and paid for my Car myself. I am really proud of it too lol! Anyway, Welcome man! Hope you find everything you need.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
Sounds interesting- although personally if the paint is as good as it looks in the pictures I'd want to leave it alone. Why spend money you don't have to, right?

Here's one of mine, if ya want to see how black looks on these cars~
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../car/006-1.jpg

Best of luck checking it out and let us know how it goes, eh?

Well the paint on the hood is bubbling, and I have a few friends in the body and paint business that I made when I had my STi so I will either just get the hood fixed or paint the whole beast haven't decided yet. I do like the stock burgundy color though.

Last edited by irocsteve87; 01-05-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can keep it the same. I like that color as well. I can't tell from the pic if it is the same as mine or not. I used the stock base acrylic and additives were used to give it a deeper look as well as a small amount of metallic in it for extra shine, not just the flecks, but something else. Anyways, it still is the stock color it just stands out a lot more and looks great near and far, best of luck with whatever route you go.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

*UPDATE*

I went and test drove the car today, it runs awesome but has some tracking issues. But I'm buying this for a project car not a buy and drive. The interior needs some work as well, but like I said before its a project car. Steering wheel needs to be changed out, clean the carpet, seats recovered or cleaned, get a new motor for the driver seat or get all new seats, clean up the rats nest of wire I guess the original owner had car alarm on the car and then took it out. I also checked and the 8 digit in the vin number is a 8 and it has the 9 bolt borg warner rear-end so it has the 350 TPI so for a Iroc that I paid $2,000 for I think I got a good deal. I'm excited to start working on this car. I paid full for the car and have the title, will be going back next weekend to pick it up since I will have more time to trailer the car home.