New to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Default New to the forums

hey my name is inder and im new to the forums...and im gonna pick up a 1991 camaro probably on sunday...i was just a bit confused as to what exactly the guy had done to the car...and was looking for some explanations as to what type of performance i could expect and whether or not the car was worth the 3700 that im giving him.

he said it s a91 383 stroker with a brand new 700r4 and stage 2 shift kit. he said it had new paint new headliner and new tires and wheels. i think its a pretty sweet deal but how much power can i expect out of that engine?

the guy said the motor has only 15-20k on it...kinda of think it might be a bit too good to be true but not really sure...are there any specific problems that i should be looking out for?

don't know too much about cars, but im not a complete newbie
thanks in advance for all ur help guys!!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would expect 300 horsepower at the very least out of that motor if its a true 383.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

would you suggest going with that or just stickin with like a 93 or 94 z28? i can get them for about the same price...

Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jit11375
would you suggest going with that or just stickin with like a 93 or 94 z28? i can get them for about the same price...
I currently own a 3rd and 4th gen

the 89 RS is able to be driven again with its new engine and tranny.

the 95z has been on the road for a couple of years

they are completely different body styles and the 4th gen handles so much better. In fact, the 95 outcorners my 07 stang.

I like both body styles but prefer the 3rd gen. Of the 4th gens, I like the 93-97's a heck of a lot better than the fish eyes that came out in 98.

If you plan on spending a lot of time under the hood then the 3rd gen has much easier access. Pop off the hood and you can get to everything including the top tranny bolts.

With the 4th gens, pop off the hood and, well, you get more light onto 1/2 of the engine. The back half is still hiding in the cave.

Both suffer from the side bolster tears on the drivers seat

Both back seats are utterly useless

Given my choice, if i could only keep one; the stang.......no seriously, the 4th gen. It just handles too good. But, I can say that because both vehicles are either completely rebuilt or in the case of the 89, almost finished being completely restored. The 4th gens are so much more refined....yeah, that's the word, refined.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

find out if anything else has been done to the car to handle that power. subframe connectors, stronger rear. if neither were done and the car still drive and the doors line up, then it probably wasnt abused hard

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Will a base 700R4 hold a 383?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

mine was rebuilt shortly before picking my car up, and is holding up so far. it has a shift kit, but it isnt aggressive enough and the shifts slip at more than half throttle. im in the process of finding a more aggressive setup to handle the power

Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM

hopefully *fingers crossed* i will be picking up a white 95 z28 tomorrow with a new motor and tranny, well the motor has 15k on it and the tranny as 8k on it, pretty excited and hope the deal falls through. Has an SLP intake and SLP exhaust, what would you guys say is the logical next step? headers? throttle body?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jit11375
hopefully *fingers crossed* i will be picking up a white 95 z28 tomorrow with a new motor and tranny, well the motor has 15k on it and the tranny as 8k on it, pretty excited and hope the deal falls through. Has an SLP intake and SLP exhaust, what would you guys say is the logical next step? headers? throttle body?
what happened to the other 2 vehicles?

With respect to the 15k on motor and 8k on tranny, if the seller can't produce supporting paperwork then no value should be placed upon their words. THings like a new paint job and interior can be seen and verified

Oh, when a deal "falls through" it means that it did not happen. Why do you want your deal no to happen?

Last, and take no offense by this, based upon your sentence structure, I'd say you should first become comfortable with the vehicle. In other words, how to handle the power and that doesn't mean street racing.

As for what to do

oil/filter
plugs/wires
drain/replace coolant
change diff oil (don't forget the limited slip additive)
replace air filter
replace fuel filter
inspect/replace brakes
front end alignment
new tires if needed
service tranny

right there you could be spending well over $1k and perhaps close to $2k if you can't do those things yourself.

When a seller knows they are dumping a vehicle, they know far enough in advance and repairs and maintenance tend not to be performed. Or, they are selling because of a needed repair.

You sound young and starry eyed, i suggest having a parent do the negotiating because you don't NEED a Camaro, you WANT one.

good luck and once you do get one, photos are a must

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

As funny as that ^ is, its true. I don't think anyone really needs a camaro either, they want/wanted one. As costly as some mistakes are they are a life experience. An you gain valuable knowledge from them.