new edelbrock head installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default new edelbrock head installation

Hey guys i was considering getting some new heads to replace the stock ones I have now for my 92 rs. I was going to go with Edelbrock 65 cc running for about 1200 for a pair. I wanted to know if i needed to get anything else besides the heads themselves. Also if any of you guys could briefly expain how to install these that would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new edelbrock head installation

i dont think they come complete, so you might need rocker arms, rocker arm studs (im not sure on that one), gaskets of course, and new head bolts.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
4th Gear Member

A new set of heads for $1200 on a TBI 305 would not be my first choice to start with. Exactly what have you done in the way of engine mods to this point????

Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

i have flowmaster exhaust ,high flo cat, and a holley 14 in. air cleaner i just got the car and i wanted something to increase hp. rite now ive got about 200, i was going to put a edelbrock intake, some hooker headers and y pipe, andsome little stuff(spark plug wires,ignition,pulleys,shocks and springs,thermostat and housing) before i even did the heads.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Nothing you listed is a major power adder and I question your 200 Hp number. You are talking 65 cc heads with that small tbi Cam. My personal opinion is to read up on all the Mods that can be may to that 170 HP LO3 before even thinking about heads. A crate 350 from GM is about the same cost and will give better results.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

if your wanting HP you need to modify the valve train. you need to decide what kind of HP your looking to generate and for what purpose. then get a good cam to fit your needs. then add mods to compliment the cam. if you just start throwing parts together your gonna wind up spending a ton of money and getting very little horsepower out of the deal. besides by putting 64cc heads on a 305 your gonna loose horsepower. stock 305 heads are 58cc. when compression drops so does horsepower. Sick

Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

your wanting HP you need to modify the valve train. you need to decide what kind of HP your looking to generate and for what purpose. then get a good cam to fit your needs. then add mods to compliment the cam. if you just start throwing parts together your gonna wind up spending a ton of money and getting very little horsepower out of the deal. besides by putting 64cc heads on a 305 your gonna loose horsepower. stock 305 heads are 58cc. when compression drops so does horsepower. Sick

< Message edited by SickSickSick -- 10/24/2006 5:19:39 PM >

How can 64cc edelbrock heads lower horsepower, the stock ones are 58cc which is worse because of lower compression. The 64cc edelbrock heads have a high compression rate, so how could the new edelbrock heads be worse than what i have now? Also what should i get done to my engine in order to add horsepower. And why cant I just start throwing different engine parts on there, it would still increase hp because they are better performance parts. Help me out guys, thanks.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

the smaller the combustion chamber the higher the compression. not to mention if the intake runners are bigger than 180cc your gonna slow your takeoff as well. heads are nothing to just jump into. you can't just throw parts together. theres alot of scientific properties at work inside an internal combustion engine. you need to consult someone before you go blowing money on parts. you have alot to learn. Sick

Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey sick I really appreciate your help a lot. Thanks man. Check out this link. If i got these and a matching gm vortec intake manifold, and then a comp cam that would fit wouldnt that be a pretty good increase of hp(how much?). I heard these gm vortec parts are pretty good. Thanks.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10187

Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Roller rockers would also be a good upgrade while you're in there. You'll also have to get different valve springs. Get the dual set up if you can fit it around the studs.

Quick Reply: new edelbrock head installation