New to Cars and Camaros

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Ok thanks. And will any chevy 350 fit? Or how will I know? Sorry, like I said, I've only just recently become interested in cars in the past few months, so I haven't quite learned everything there is to know yet.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well if your car already has a 305 V8, the 350 should nestle right in there in place of it no problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Alright cool, thanks for the help. Ya, as sooon as I can gather the funds for that, I'll look into doing the 350 swap.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Buff, you're really swap-happy, aren't you? You seriously need to cut it out with telling every newbie that comes on here with anything less than an LS1 or whatever that they need to get a better car or it needs a new motor.

An engine swap is not something to be taken lightly. It's serious business, and there's a lot that goes into any sort of swap. Honestly, I think for someone who is just now starting to get into the car scene, that's way too intense. You're still in high school, be happy with what you have. If you ask me, as long as the current motor is running strong, there's no reason to rush into doing a swap. If you want to try your hand at working on cars, doing bolt-ons like exhaust and headers will be a good place to get started. Besides, owning a used car inherently means stuff is gonna break. When it does, fix as much as you possibly can by yourself. It's better than going to a shop, and you'll learn a lot. If you're still hungry for mods, start upgrading your suspension and stuff. Don't think of touching the inside of the engine or doing a swap until you're more comfortable wrenching on your car and you're 110% sure you're up for it.

Also, your car is a 1991, so I doubt it's carbed. Do you have any pics of the engine?

Last edited by WIspartan1026; 01-17-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of us to answer your questions. So feel free to ask away.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
Buff, you're really swap-happy, aren't you? You seriously need to cut it out with telling every newbie that comes on here with anything less than an LS1 or whatever that they need to get a better car or it needs a new motor.

An engine swap is not something to be taken lightly. It's serious business, and there's a lot that goes into any sort of swap. Honestly, I think for someone who is just now starting to get into the car scene, that's way too intense. You're still in high school, be happy with what you have. If you ask me, as long as the current motor is running strong, there's no reason to rush into doing a swap. If you want to try your hand at working on cars, doing bolt-ons like exhaust and headers will be a good place to get started. Besides, owning a used car inherently means stuff is gonna break. When it does, fix as much as you possibly can by yourself. It's better than going to a shop, and you'll learn a lot. If you're still hungry for mods, start upgrading your suspension and stuff. Don't think of touching the inside of the engine or doing a swap until you're more comfortable wrenching on your car and you're 110% sure you're up for it.

Also, your car is a 1991, so I doubt it's carbed. Do you have any pics of the engine?
Dude, when it comes to 3rd gens, the 305's potential sucks compared to a 350. A 350 is not very expensive, but it will require some work like with any engine swap. The cost to perform the swap is about as much as buying bolt-ons, but with a lot more gains in regards to performance. This is just what I would do if I had a 3rd gen and wanted more performance out of it.

Last edited by Buffalo02Z28; 01-17-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Ya I didn't think it was carbed either. But yes, I DEFINITELY need to get way more familiar with engines before I do any swapping, I was aware of that. It is my daily driver, since I'm only in high school. It runs fine, many of its parts are relatively recent. I can get a pic of the engine soon. But I believe its basically stock. And it doesn't look to pretty for the time being, but that will change. The only problems I've had with it so far is needing to replace the alternator and then the motor for the hatch in the back needs to be fixed, but other than that, no engine problems.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Dude, when it comes to 3rd gens, the 305's potential sucks compared to a 350. A 350 is not very expensive, but it will require some work like with any engine swap. The cost to perform the swap is about as much as buying bolt-ons, but with a lot more gains in regards to performance. This is just what I would do if I had a 3rd gen and wanted more performance out of it.
I wasn't trying to say that the 305 could equal a 350. I was saying that with his relative inexperience, there are other things he should do instead of diving straight into an engine swap right off the bat.

so doboy...where are pics?

Last edited by WIspartan1026; 01-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i find it funny when noobs misdirect newbs into thinking they need to do something they dont.

i suggest driving the car for a few months and work the bugs out of it. start with basic maintnance items. change the oil, spark plugs, wires. drain, flush, and refill the cooling system and inspect for leaks. make sure the electric fans operate correctly. drain and refill the rear gear oil as most people never do that when owning a car. if its an auto, take it to a shop who can flush the trans fluid. only after the basics are caught up on do i recomend doing and modifications. shop around and listen to different exhaust setups. flowmaster's do sound good on old american v8's. however, i have yet to see one last more than 4 years. they rust out incredibly quick. magnaflow mufflers sound great as well, and dont have the metallic ring that the chambered flowmaster has. it is more expensive, but it is also stainless steel and wont ever rust.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

ok I went out real quick and snapped some pics. I don't know how to post them in a post since it requires a URL and I don't really wanna do Photobucket right now so I'll put them in my garage thing. Hopefully I can get better pictures tomorrow when it's brighter out.

Quick Reply: New to Cars and Camaros