New to Cars and Camaros

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Default New to Cars and Camaros

I am still in high school, and got a 1991 Camaro RS V8 as my first car. Almost things in the car is stock I believe.

I have only just recently begun to find interest in cars, so I'm not exactly a walking encyclopedia yet. I do know that there are some simple changes I would like to make to my car, such as exhaust, air intake, and of course, an awesome sound system. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions made to make my car the best that it can be. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm only 14 yet i think i can help after-market exhaust would be an upgrade for sound, don't tinker with the engine unless necessary. From experience, check under the hood for leaks and electrical issues such as the the distributor wires (they are a favor of rats). Hope this helps

Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Yeah, exhaust would definitely be a good sound upgrade. was thinking one of the flowmaster series. and the engine is almost all recently replaced, but with stock parts. there was some rat damage in some of the original parts when it was sitting in the garage. but i think i may have an oil leak that i need to take a look at.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah you might want to give the car a good inspection before you start buying after-market exhaust. You should have that suspected link looked at. also flowmaster is an excellent choice be sure to get the performance series they are nicely loud.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the Flowmaster 80 series for my car. And I also, in conjunction with that, would like to do something with air intake. Any recommendations on that? I've heard things about K&N or something like that?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

80s it quiet try 40s 50s series and save your money on the intake and used on cold air injection

Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM

ok, how much is that gonna run me? and I haven't really checked a whole ton on the engine, but I believe mine's got a carb, won't that affect me being able to put in cold air injection?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that K&N doesn't make any cold-air-intakes for your car. If its got a carburetor, you can just buy a K&N filter for it. I would suggest that you upgrade to 350 right off the bat if you want more performance out of your car.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
I'm pretty sure that K&N doesn't make any cold-air-intakes for your car. If its got a carburetor, you can just buy a K&N filter for it. I would suggest that you upgrade to 350 right off the bat if you want more performance out of your car.
Ya I was looking at their site and it seems that all they make that would fit my car is filters. And, being in high school, I have a very limited budget, especially considering I just moved, so I don't have a job yet. So I know that a 350 swap will cost me more than I can afford at the moment, but how much will it likely run me?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Not much, you should be able to find one for a couple hundred bucks. Here's one that I found. There's more like this, they're all over the place.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/2158462479.html

Quick Reply: New to Cars and Camaros