New Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Default New Build

Sup fellas,

First of all let me just say, I'm new to the car building hobby. I know it's expensive, i know it's time consuming, I know it causes heartache and most likely hairloss. I still wanna' do it.

So here's the story. I have an 86 Z-28, with a crate 305 & a B&M 3 speed automatic. The tranny needs to be rebuilt and I have an LT1 from a 94 Roadmaster. I wanna put the LT1 in the Camaro and replace the transmission but like I said earlier, I'm a newbie. I don't really know much. Fortunately I have some friends w/car building experience but I just wanted to do some research.

Is there anything I should look out for. Anything I need to know beforehand. Any good resources for an automotive idiot. Where should I look for information. I have the 94 Roadmaster so I was wondering if there is anything from the Roadmaster I can cannibalize. Will the LT1 fit on the stock engine mounts in the 86 Camaro...

As you can see I have an *** load of questions. I appreciate all the help you guys can offer. Thanks for your time.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: New Build

wow..not everyday i see this.......there is alot of things you need to change to make this work, a short list would be-
1.computer
2. fuel pump and lines
3.trans
4. driveshaft
5. rear end

and basically everything else you can think of...serioiulsy

Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Actually the engine and trans is pretty much a bolt in, 3rd and 4th gens have a pretty much identical platform and since 4th gens had the LT1/4l60E combo I think it will be a fairly straight forward swap. The rear in your Camaro is most likley a 10 bolt and will be fine unless you put slicks on it. You will need the computor, a better fuel pump and maybe bigger lines. This really is not as bad of a swap as what you may think

Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I defnitely know that this is going to be a long process with lots of long hours and bank statements with lots of zeros but...
The reason I'm doing this is because I always hear stories of guys (older than me) who said they wished they had kept their first sports car and fixed it up. Well I just refuse to look back on my first sports car and regret selling it. Seeing as how my first "hot rod" is an 86 IROC I knew I had to keep it. I have some really good ideas for the "looks" of the car but I need some help with the mechanical aspects. I appreciate your posts but I was wondering if y'all had some advice on where to learn what I'm doing.

What kinda computer do I need? What should I cannibalize from the '94 Buick? Where can I learn about what size fuel lines to use? What do you mean by "The rear in your Camaro is most likley a 10 bolt" (I won't be using slicks.) I plan on making this a driver. Something I can take to work on a pretty Friday kinda car. Maybe take it out on the weekends. Where can I learn?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2005, 12:49 PM
4th Gear Member

You can learn by asking questions on sites like this and there are books you can buy, look for them on ebay.
What I mean by 10 bolt is the number of bolts holding the inspection cover on the rear end, get under the car and count them. Chevy guys tell the differance between the differant rears this way (12 bolt,10 bolt etc) The 10 bolt will be fine without slicks. I would try to use the wireing harness and computor from a Lt1 Z/28, it should be pretty much plug and play. You will need to maybe run different fuel lines, and I would use the braded steel kind, in a -8 size (say dash 8, not minus 8) this is about 3/8 inch and will support 400 hp with ease. You will also need the LT1 fuel pump and pressure regulator. This should be a fairly easy swap (it's not like you are dropping a big block in there) just think things out and do some research and it will turn out fine. Good Luck

Old 06-23-2005, 11:12 AM

Where would the best place to find the parts that I'll need?

You mentioned 400 hp, will I be able to realistically get that much out of this engine while still maintaining drivability? I plan on getting this car to the point where I can take it to work occassionally so I need to make sure it's still somewhat road friendly.

I also found a book on-line about rebuilding the LT1, and I was wondering if you think this might be a good book to start with.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...77&prmenbr=361

Thanks

Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member

The best thing would be to find a wrecked doner car with the engine and trans still in place. 400 hp from an LT1 is quite doable and would not be badto drive everyday, you would need ported or aftermarket heads, a cam, an LT4 intake (or better), headers, and all the usual bolt-ons.
That book and any like it is definatly a good resource, read up all you can.