Need help with LG4

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need help with LG4

Hey guys,

I am of course looking to build up my maro. I just got this thing and after some work its really starting to bring a huge smile to my face every time I drive it! Its a 1986 z-28. It has the Lg4 305. Now, the engine has a holly carb on it, stock mani's and as far as I can tell, thats about it. The exhaust was rusted almost completely off, so I dumped it catless, and without a muffler right before the passenger rear tire. For the time being...will do a duel set up soon out the back, but had to do something to kill some of the noise!

Now, I have been reading alot about what "CAN" be done with these things, and why some throw them away. I myself wanna keep it. 300hp is just fine in my word. That thread is awesome btw. Anyway, I don't know jack about engines and headers and all that is performance. I just know that you guys probally do!

I am looking at headers now to get rid of the stock "joint" that is completely a flow through train wreck. I dunno what GM was thinking thier..anyway looking at them I see a huge price diffrence. Hooker headers goin for $860. All the way down to flow tech headers at $123.99. Of course coated , uncoated, but what else would be the difference? Same size tubes down to the flange thinckness. What gives?

Also I have a intake in the car, as well as another in the trunk...how can I find out which is better, and what kind they are to begin with?

basically guys, I need help and lots of it. I am not looking to burn away gas at 8 mpg, nor do I need to get 40mpg. I just wanna have a car thats decently fast, and at least around 14mpg. Any help with a cam suggestion, and tuning advise would be great.

OH, and btw...my other thread...I had first gear! LOL, the clutch master cyclinder just needed to be bled. Solved all my tranny problems!!! So I am good to go there! Love the T5!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok then, so after reading over five pages of info in here alone, I find the lg4 to basically be a boat anchor!

With my T5 tranny, how do I know a 350 I find off craigslist will bolt right to it? I wanna just swap this baby out now.. and in my area I can find 350's pretty cheap. Under a grand for a rebuilt slightly built one on there now... what all would this detail? I plan on swapping a 4th gen rear with 373's posi.. Will the T% hold the kinda power a 350 will put out?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Almost any part on your 305 should be interchangeable with a 350.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok cool. I do know to try and get a four bolt main. BUT what year should I try for? I wanna stay carbed. But wanna get the best bang for the buck as well.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

That depends, whats your budget?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I can do $500-$600 every other week. But I would rather pick up that other motor off craigslist before I really start modding this one. I figured those flow tech headers, already have the holly carb, and definatly need the rear end. Right now you floor it in 1-3rd and the damn thing becomes a one wheel fire. So a posi is a must. I really just want it to have a little more till I can get the body done right, and the interior fully restored. The wife hates the car as it sits now, but I know when its done she is gonna love it. I wanna do about 75% of it now...then leave the rest for my son and I to do when he gets older...

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok...found these

stock 305 vortec heads. They have been cleaned and magnafluxed. They have recieved a valve job and deck has been resurfaced. They have the stock valves and springs with new valve stem seals

Guessing these will help out on the power right? Since the stock 305 lg4 heads suck so bad? i can get these for $275obo...Figure I would then need to set the carb right...?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

I would save up and buy this engine. Its not too expensive, its brand new and it puts up solid numbers.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...oductId=752506

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh yeah...that looks nice. I like that black!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its a very nice engine. I always recommend it when someone wants to upgrade their 305's. As for those 305 Vortec heads, I wouldn't know if they were good heads. I don't know what they flow.