need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Default need help

ok i know this has probably been gone over a 100 times but i have no idea where to start searching to find exactly what i am needing to know. i have a 83 crossfire camaro. and i am fixing to pull the motor n tranny and swap in my 85 350 carb for now till i rebuild my crossfire motor. my main concerns are what all is needed to be done to change from fuel injection to carb. i do not want to use the stock electric fuel pump i am needing to use the manual pump on the side of the motor but am unsure what all is needed to do this. do i just hook it up or do i need to remove the electric and replace with something different. also needing to know if the tranny out of my 85 iroc will hook up correctly in the 83 crossfire. any help would be greatly appreciated i need to get this done as soon as possible. if any more info is needed feel free to ask

Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Droid

The easiest thing would be to keep using the electric pump and add a pressure regulator. If you want to use an engine driven pump, (there are no manual pumps) you will need a new mechanical pump, push rod, and plumbing to get fuel to the pump and from the pump to the carb. The electric pump will act as a restriction and will need to be completely removed, and a new fuel pick up arrangement provided in the tank. Another option is to blow compressed air back into the tank through the fuel line and destroy the check valve in the electric pump; however, this trick may or may not work, and the old fuel pump is still in the way.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM

would it be easier maybe to just swap the 85 tank onto the 83. because the electric pump in the car does not function propperly otherwise i would keep it.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 83crossfirez28
...i have a 83 crossfire camaro. and i am fixing to pull the motor n tranny and swap in my 85 350 carb for now till i rebuild my crossfire motor.
That means you plan on going back to fuel injection. Don't burn your bridges behind you and make it harder to go back. What would make the most amount of sense then, would be to keep the electric pump setup, bypass the mechanical one, and put a return style fuel pressure regulator inline before the carb.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM

the computer is messed up and will not turn the electric pump on and when it does it does not pump enough pressure and is unreliable. otherwise i would stick with it and use a regulator. but i am not fond of working on cars on highways.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well then, since the electric pump is shot, you can try Pete's idea of blowing it out and see what happens. Worry about a new electric pump till you need it then.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM

i found somewhere that you can take the electric pump off and put a hose on where the pump was installd and it would work as a pickup. if thats true then i will probably go that route because a access door has been cut to get to the pump. so it would be fairly simple .if it works.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, you just need to replace it with a length of fuel hose. You won't be able to do anything with that access hole unless you cut the metal lines on the pickup as well.

Personally I would just completely swap it over to a carb. However if you're dead set on keeping the CFI, it would be stupid to go through all the trouble to swap it over to a carb setup temporarily. Fix whatever is wrong with the fuel pump, and put the CFI system on the 350. Then when you go back to the 305 it will be simple.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Thumbs down

see therein lies the problem the motor that is currently in the car is toast im going to have to completely tear down get some machine work done. so im going to just pull it out and build it while im at it. but it wont be an overnight build. my plan is to get aroung 600 or more hp out of the crossfire motor while keeping the crossfire injection and adding twin turbos. so it is going to be a timely build. till then i still need to be able to drive the car so i am going to throw a 350 carbed in its place so the car is still driveable. when i get the motor and trann built up for it then it will just be a swap back out. which is no problem to me.