Need a bit of advice for my 83 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need a bit of advice for my 83 Z28

Hello, I posted in the intro section yesterday to see if anyone had any advice on driving the 5 speed as I am having a bit of trouble with the heavy clutch. I've stalled it twice :/ I drove a 92 a while back but its been so long since I've driven a manuel car and I only did it once so its like starting new again. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Anyone?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 PM

i have a question too..... i do i post a question? before i junk this camaro!! lol

Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1) Give the engine more gas than you've been giving it.
B) Let the clutch pedal up slower.
3) Work out at the gym on the leg press to strengthen your left leg.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
4th Gear Member

I taught all of my kids the same way and every model vehicle with a manny acts differently

with the car idling, foot off of the brake, slowly release the clutch until it engages a little and the vehicle moves slightly. Then, put in the clutch and do it again until you can sense when it engages. Next, same scenario but bring the rpms up to about 1k just before it engages and release the clutch more until it is fully engaged.

I'm sure you are asking about the initial startup and not about shifting once you get rolling

Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah it's first gear that is giving me some problems, not all the time though it's weird. The car idles a bit high too which is what throws me off as well (around 1200-1500rpm) The rest of the gears shift smoother than a hot knife through butter. I'm going to have my uncle take a look at that since he used to restore camaros like a MF'r the only problem is I have to get to him LOL. I may have been letting the clutch out too slow as well but I wanted to check in with you guys since most people on here know their **** front and back. I appreciate all the help guys

Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaroxguy
I wanted to check in with you guys since most people on here know their **** front and back. I appreciate all the help guys
don't ever mistake me as someone who has a clue

now you be quiet crab and 69

Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

peep!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

Drive more. 8*) You just need to get used to it. My newly acquired Big Block Corvette has a VERY heavy clutch, I either bog the car or rip the tires loose. The more I drive it, the more I learn it. Go drive it like ya stole it......

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Droid

Many moons ago, when I first got married, my wife went out and bought herself a VW Beetle. She had no Idea on how to drive a stick, so she head the dealer deliver it to the house. She asked me to teach her how to drive the silly thing. We did the hop up & down routine a few times, went around the block two times, and then went straight for the LI Expressway during rush hour. She called the shots, and I made sure the seat belts were tight. The LIE is a 6 lane highway, and during rush hour traffic moves at 70 MPH with cars stacked bumper to bumper. Almost got rear ended on the entrance ramp. She smoked the clutch taking off, and got confused looking for second gear. But we merged without getting killed. After a couple of miles the traffic came came to a sudden stop, and was stop and go for a few miles. She stalled the car several times, every time with horns blaring and people flipping us the bird. Within 20 miles she got the hang of things and we headed for home. On the way she stopped at the local saloon because she needed a drink. As it turned out she needed 5 drinks, and now had problems seeing the car, so I drove the rest of the way home. Next day she was shifting like a pro.

Quick Reply: Need a bit of advice for my 83 Z28