In need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 02:03 PM
Default In need of advice

I have a 3.1L 1990 Camaro, as of now it needs an ignition timing adjustment. I have owned it for about two years, the engine has 300,000 miles on it and breaks down pretty often, my question is, would it be better long term to just have it rebuilt or should I look at getting a different engine swapped into it. I'm looking for stability and reliability and while a few more horsepower would be nice, I'm not exactly craving it. Has anyone been in a similar situation and has any advice?

Old 01-28-2023, 08:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In my opinion. 3.1 is not a motor worth messing with in terms of upgrades. You will only get minor gains.

Why is the car not dependable? When you look at what has failed is there a certain area or type of failing that is occurring? Sometimes people think that an engine rebuild will fix everything. It is simply NOT the case. When you get a engine rebuild that is just the main part of the motor. I would guess that 90% of the time a car breaks down it is not the main part of the motor. Your entire electrical system would become less dependable because moving around a 33 year old wiring harness during the engine replacement. You have your fuel system that has a lot of plastic parts. your emission system, Cooling system, transmission and drive line/rear. They are all things that can leave you sitting. Keep in mind this car was designed to last 8-10 years and about 150,000 miles and it is now 33 years old with 300,000 miles. If it was an airplane you would say that every part on the plane is beyond its designed capabilities and needs recertified.

My Opinion
If you look at my project 96 camaro listed in my signature. In 2008 I bought a 1996 Camaro with a blown up motor. At that time even the V6 were bringing good money, I found a low miles used motor and I went over it. While I installed motor I went over everything that was wear item. Besides the motor the car was in very good condition. I still spent more money in parts then what I paid for the motor. In the end I had a very dependable car I drove for almost 8 years and 100,000. Even in this case to pay a mechanic to do all the things I did would not be cost effective. I am a former GM tech. The reason I typed all that out is to say even with me being a former GM tech and newer low miles 3800's being available there still comes a point when the car is just too used up to be reliable without a complete mechanical restoration. Around 2016 the 96 had two wire harness failures and the manual transmission was starting to get tuff to shift 1-2. I knew another 8 years/100,000 miles was not going to happen without rebuilding every system in the car. It was hard to say goodbye to that car but I just needed a less used up car.

Hot much would a complete mechanical restoration cost? Are the parts even available? Are the parts that are available at OEM standards? or are they China knock offs? I can say I was assuming and 6K in parts on my 96 with me doing the labor. I would assume at lease 100 hour to rebuild the rear, trans, coolant system and replace the wiring harnesses. At the time new wiring harness where not available. So my plan was to replace all the under hood connectors. With family obligations it would have taken months worth of weekends to do this project. Instead I bough a 2000 Z28 with 45K on it for $5700.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-30-2023 at 06:36 AM.