My starter done BLOWED UP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default My starter done BLOWED UP!

I went to start the car today and was met with the most horriffic grinding noise. I got under her and saw that the starter gear was stuck in the flywheel teeth, I pushed it out and cranked it again.....same horrible grinding, smashing, steel on steel noise.When you crank her, it almost looks like the starter is bouncing and spinning on the flywheel, but everything seems tight.

Im running one of those expensive hight torque starters from Napa, so I returned it and got another one. Upon installing I ran into a little mishap with store supplied metric starter bolts VS SAE...lets hope I can chase those threads....but back to the story.

I installed the new starter and cranked it, she spun over normal a few times at regular speed and then the grinding noise and a loud crack. The casing of the starter actually split in half and the nose actually broke clean off. WTF, over??? Anybody gots any suggestion as to why my starter done blowed up?

PS- I hate my car I hate my car I hate my car.........

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: My starter done BLOWED UP!

Its all that extra horse pressure you got now Festus.
Maybe you needed to put a shim between the starter and block. Did it screach?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

It never sounded abnormal till tonight. I just turned the key and was met with the worst noise in the world. Ever bump your starter accidentally while the engine is running? Imagine that times 1000. I tried a shim, (.020)it seemed like it worked till it blew up. What the hell would cause a starter (two starters actually) to just all of the sudden act like this, with no warning signs?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

damaged flex plate or flywheel maybe?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

Flywheel is a little chewed up from the starter, but no major damage....this is driving me nuts. I thought for sure the second starter would work but withing 2-3 spins it went back to grinding. Im gonna try chasing the mounting holes today, get some OEM bolts and pray for the best.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
March 2008 ROTM

damn scott, maybe you should move on to collecting stamps..

Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nah, Id probably die from self inflicted paper cuts.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well I got under her again tonight and chased the threads, at least that went well. These aftermarket starter bolts took a but of work to hold her tight, but I got it all hooked up again. (Had to grind some threads down so they wouldnt bottom out in the blind holes) I then measured the pinion to flywheel clearance and it seems that Ive got about .065-. 075. The manual (aftermarket starter)says anything over .060 is too much. I guess with the old starter bolts and that much clearance, it might have been causing the problem. Now, here is my question......how do I fix it? The manual says to shim one side, but thats what I did last night just prior to her blowing up! I was wondering if I took the starter to a machine shop and told them to take .025 off the top (portion that meets the block) of the starter, would that work? Im out of options here........

Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 AM

yall are all just a bunch of rump rangers!!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey there FNG MEMBER it really looks like your the BUTT" of your own reply's. If you have a car question great! otherwise keep your remarks parked in the shop.

Quick Reply: My starter done BLOWED UP!