My camaro is in heat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by blackz87
Running the fans at speeds over 35mph dose nothing for cooling on the highway.
wrong. the only way i can keep my car under 200 is by running at least on fan on the highway, and can keep it under 190 with both on. however, that is not anywhere near stock

what temp is your car running at, since you never specified. 220 is quite normal for these cars, although is hot. put the air dam on on clean out the rad with compressed air. if it has an a/c condenser, clean it out between there as well. very common for it to be plugged with leaves. if that doesnt solve the issue, let us know, and we can teach you how to change the temp the fan kicks on

Last edited by microkid; 08-01-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Running the fans at speeds over 35mph dose nothing for cooling on the highway.
On the highway I can see the needle move down w/fans on. Gets a tad warmer w/fans off.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
wrong. the only way i can keep my car under 200 is by running at least on fan on the highway, and can keep it under 190 with both on. however, that is not anywhere near stock

what temp is your car running at, since you never specified. 220 is quite normal for these cars, although is hot. put the air dam on on clean out the rad with compressed air. if it has an a/c condenser, clean it out between there as well. very common for it to be plugged with leaves. if that doesnt solve the issue, let us know, and we can teach you how to change the temp the fan kicks on
Well since I solved my running hot problem two years ago, by replacing my 22yr old radiator and hoses. Since I live in Florida where the temperatres are warmer all year around my operating temps are:

180/195 deg with the A/C in the city & without the A/C 180 deg.
170/180 deg with the A/C on the highway and about the same without the A/C.
My fan operation....Left side on start up and runs until 35 mph, (New Prom controls this).
Right side fan is stock with the A/c controling it about 220 deg.

On these cars, if the fans are left alone, 180 deg themostat & airdam is in place with a good stock radiator and coolant you should have no problems. Running the fans at highway speed dose nothing except wears the electric motors out. Air from under the car is doing the cooling

Additiional note: My 350 with uncoated 1.750 dia headers is a hot running motor.

Attached Thumbnails My camaro is in heat!!!!!-engine-picture-front.jpg  

Last edited by blackz87; 08-02-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Well since I solved my running hot problem two years ago, by replacing my 22yr old radiator and hoses. Since I live in Florida where the temperatres are warmer all year around my operating temps are:

180/195 deg with the A/C in the city & without the A/C 180 deg.
170/180 deg with the A/C on the highway and about the same without the A/C.
My fan operation....Left side on start up and runs until 35 mph, (New Prom controls this).
Right side fan is stock with the A/c controling it about 220 deg.

On these cars, if the fans are left alone, 180 deg themostat & airdam is in place with a good stock radiator and coolant you should have no problems. Running the fans at highway speed dose nothing except wears the electric motors out. Air from under the car is doing the cooling

Additiional note: My 350 with uncoated 1.750 dia headers is a hot running motor.
We have been having a heat wave in Michigan, which is par for Florida. On the Highway, my temp in both Camaros will run about 190*. IF I turn the fan on while I am cruising at 65-70 it brings the temp down about 10*. When it was 95 and very humid, I ran the fans. If I wear them out, it's no big deal to replace them. That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

im running a griffin dual row, 3" core rad and a 4000 cfm fan setup with shroud. condensor removed, completely channeled from nose to rad. still needs fans to keep it cool. you cant tell me fans do nothing at all highway speed

Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

im running a griffin dual row, 3" core rad and a 4000 cfm fan setup with shroud. condensor removed, completely channeled from nose to rad. still needs fans to keep it cool. you cant tell me fans do nothing at all highway speed
Thank you very much. I am considering removing the condenser on my IROC since it needs recharging, there is probably a leak in the system, and I can't get find R12 anymore. Just by where it's located; right in front of the radiator, it stands to reason it would restrict air flow quite a bit.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

it didnt help me any by removing it, but mine was damaged anyways. ill fix the a/c next year when i get an even larger radiator

Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

it didnt help me any by removing it, but mine was damaged anyways. ill fix the a/c next year when i get an even larger radiator
After your reply, I removed the top bracket that holds the radiator in place to look at the condenser. There were quite a few leaves crammed in between, so I removed them. Yeah I should have wore gloves. I need to test when on the highway when the weather gets hot and humid to see if removing the leaves helps keeps the engine cooler.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Be careful what you wish for. After I put in my Be Cool, I will have to get creative to get the lines hooked back up to the compressor. I never realized just how big that bad boy was.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, i already see that with mine. its fine though, im thinking of relocating the a/c to the passenger side and rerouting the lines. if it doesnt work, then ill just make custom lines

Quick Reply: My camaro is in heat!!!!!