More Vroom out of a v6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Location: Michigan for now but will move back to Rhode Island soon
Cool More Vroom out of a v6?

Just a hyperthetical cause I'm on a budget but.... instead of upgrading from a 2.8 to 5.7 what if I drop a 3.8 v6 and turbo charge it? Do I need a donor car or is it easier than swapping to v8? Also what exactly would I need for a 3.8 swap and can I get more power out of it?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its pretty much like changing to a v8. better off selling the car u have and buying what u want.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i think it was 87 or 88 when there was a factory turbo 3.8 in the firebird. if you could find one, that would have everything you need, but much of it is going to require replacement or rebuilt. swapping in a 3.8, i have no idea what to use as far as motor mounts. they might bolt in from the 4th gen, or if the 3.8 from the 3rd gen has the same mounts on the block (which im assuming it does), you can get the mounts for that. i would suggest a donor car though to swap everything over, engine, wiring harness, ecm, misc parts, and i think the trans bolt pattern is different. you can get a rear mount sts turbo, a ready to install kit, for about $2k. now if you dont want to turbo it, the 3.8 is a rather stout motor, and stock for stock, ran as quick the tpi 305, it just doesnt have the bottom end power of a v8. it is a very good motor imo, and i have some ideas to put a supercharged gtp engine into my beater and making it work.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

An carbureted SBC is BY FAR the easiest (and cheapest) swap into a 3rd gen car, period.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
An carbureted SBC is BY FAR the easiest (and cheapest) swap into a 3rd gen car, period.
however a carbureted SBC isn't always the most practical or best suited solution.

with that said i would still do a 350 swap.

Last edited by mtn_maro; 12-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
however a carbureted SBC isn't always the most practical or best suited solution.

with that said i would still do a 350 swap.
For the most part, it is. A mild 350 with a well tuned carburetor is about as practical as it gets. Anything more is just adding to the equation.

Some people don't want that however, and that's fine. Just saying that if the OP is on a budget, swapping in a 3.8 and putting a turbo on it will cost 4 times what it would cost to swap in a 350 with the same power output.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
For the most part, it is. A mild 350 with a well tuned carburetor is about as practical as it gets. Anything more is just adding to the equation.
i was thinking more along the lines of smog laws. say someone like me in so cal. technically if i put in a 350 i would have to go tpi. thats what i would do anyways but not the point. only way around that is to put on a C.A.R.B. approved fuel injection system. then i would have to go to a referee station to get it approved. the only options for engine swaps without going to a referee station would be those that were available for the camaro in 87. the v-6, the 305 with the q jet, the tpi 305 and the tpi 350.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Fancy Sparkle

Originally Posted by microkid
i think it was 87 or 88 when there was a factory turbo 3.8 in the firebird. if you could find one, that would have everything you need, but much of it is going to require replacement or rebuilt. swapping in a 3.8, i have no idea what to use as far as motor mounts. they might bolt in from the 4th gen, or if the 3.8 from the 3rd gen has the same mounts on the block (which im assuming it does), you can get the mounts for that. i would suggest a donor car though to swap everything over, engine, wiring harness, ecm, misc parts, and i think the trans bolt pattern is different. you can get a rear mount sts turbo, a ready to install kit, for about $2k. now if you dont want to turbo it, the 3.8 is a rather stout motor, and stock for stock, ran as quick the tpi 305, it just doesnt have the bottom end power of a v8. it is a very good motor imo, and i have some ideas to put a supercharged gtp engine into my beater and making it work.
you're thinking of the '89 TTA. one year only and they were Indy Pace cars. only 1550 made total