Mean street machine tips wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008 | 01:26 AM
|
2nd Gear member
Default Mean street machine tips wanted.

Hey, i gotta 87 305ciz28 with 120,000kms(read signature for parts on the 305). I can can get my licsence on July 20th, and i NEVER want to getbeat by a [:'(]ricer[:'(]and i want something fun to drive that will impress my freind with his bmw. So, i have a few questions>

- The camaro has an automatic tranny, I know that manuel obvisoly gives you more torque and accerlation+top end. But i am only 15 and cant afford a tranny swap, so im just wondering if my automatic transmission will be good for what what im trying to build?

- What else should i do to my engine for performance without pulling the engine?(read sig. for parts i have on)

- I have stock suspension, and i know absolutly nothing about suspension, but ive heard it really improves in over-all driving. So what would that meen i would have to buy? And would i be able to install some good suspension in my garage?

- I know nothing about rearend stuff. But i dont know if i have a posi or even what a posi is, all i know is ive heard posi is good lol. So any info on rearend stuff would be GREAT aswell.

Thanks, i may sound like a big newb to cars, as i am, but im trying to learn as hard as i can and as fast as i can, it SUCKS having a dad with absolutly NO intrest in my car and building it up with me. So camaroforums has been my 1/2 read oncar info every night for the past month.

Old 12-13-2008 | 10:06 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Mean street machine tips wanted.

By looking at your signature theres not much more to do to a 305 without getting exotic. Carb, intake, ignition and headers is about all you can do. That alone will take your 305 from 'dog' status to 'tolerable'...

As far as suspension, yeah, you can upgrade everything but inless your seriously racing and concerned with enths of a second, you will never really notice a huge difference. Start by replacing your shocks and struts. Very easy job and it will make a big difference. Its amazing how sloppy worn out struts can make a car. I DO NOT advise replacing the coil springs, I just did the job myself and it is not for the feint of heart.

The BIGGEST improvement you can make is to change your rear end gears. I went from 2.77 gears (YUCK!, highway gears) to 3.77 gears (oh YEAH!) They will launch you off the line faster and improve your 'midrange' response.You will loose some top end speed, but how often to you need to go above 100MPH? Spend some time finding a set of used gears on egay, then go to Summit racing and get all the necessary hardware. A shop will install it all for around 150-300 bucks depending on where you live. You COULD search for an entire rear end with 3.73's in it, but often junk yards will LIE about the gear ratio and fitment is often an issue. Granted, an entire rear axle swap is easier and cheaper than the gears, but good luck finding one.

Keep us updated.

Old 12-13-2008 | 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi I have a rebuilt 350 with edelbrock headers to 3" flowmaster exhaust, a roller cam, and a modified TBI. The computer is also chipped and tuned for the aftermarket setup. Honestly it is very fast but not from a dead start! My car is also automatic but I installed a B@M shift kit with a stal converter and when your on the gas the car wont shift until 6k RPM. I believe that this is a very comparable to a 5 spd BUT you dont have to shift gears and loose a second in time. Also it os lowered and has Eibach springs so it makes for a very tight ride. I recomend cutting about 1 1/4 " off your air dam so it doesnt scrape the ground.

Edit about gearing... I did a swap to 4.10 gears and POSI rear end..I would rather see 3.73 just for the reason the tires spin way too much off the line

Old 12-13-2008 | 03:14 PM
Banned

ddddddd

Old 12-13-2008 | 03:17 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Ok, thanks for the imput guys, i guess ill ask for shocks and struts for Christmas. And will my 305 the way its modded still be fun to drive?

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

"Fun to drive".........Dude, your 15. It will run circles around your BMX bike......

What have you driven so far? Unless Dad has a beefed up V8 truck or raced out import, Im sure your gonna be happy. It is a FUN car to drive and still turns heads.

With that being said.......dont forget its only got a 305. The Camaro is a relatively heavy car. Dont expect gut punching power or tire shredding performance. She will have enough power to keep you interested. Dont be suprised if a few ricers out there take you off the line. But no matter HOW bad they beat you, you are driving an American Icon, they are driving a disposable piece of shiznizzle.

One last thing....be careful. Rear wheel drive is an aquired skill. You cant just go hammering it thru turns and such. Take the time to learn how she handles. Id hate to see a nice Maro get wrecked because you were trying to race some moron and went into a telephone pole or something. It happens. Use your head.

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:46 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Nah man,i ride dirtbikes just about every weekend and i have 2 polaris sportsman 800 atvs. I think it will be fun to drive thanks for the help again.

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:48 PM
|
2nd Gear member

By, the way LMAO- "disposible peice of shizznizzle" I will never forget that one!