lowering emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default lowering emissions

ok ive thought about this and it makes since in my head. ill try and lay what im thinking out on this screen here...

Ive got my state emissions and inspections next month. Ill be changing my oil in the engine by the end of this month to help me out. Questions are... If i use say, royal purple engine oil which CLAIMS to reduce emissions and royal purple rear end oil ( any idea if this stuff is any good? its the G80 rear) which SHOULD make everything turn a little easier thus reducing the friction allowing it to turn easier WHICH in turn should mean it would take a little less ( not anything noticeable) throttle to get er goin. Should that reduce emissions a little bit? Simply because it would take less fuel to make the same movement. It all plays out in my head and the way i see it, it could help a little bit. im tryin everything i can to make this thing pass. It passed last year just fine... i would think it would this year too. Something helping me out is ive only got about 15,000 miles on this engine so it should be great still. All i have done to it thus far is the exhaust so that shouldnt raise emission levels. If anything, maybe bring it down a bit since it exhales a bit easier...

I dont know though, im not a pro. Lemme know what yall think. Espically on that rear end oil, what kinds i need and what not. Thanks

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: lowering emissions

Don't get your hopes up in thinking the rear end lube is going to help your emmisions. But I use the royal purple in my Borg Warner LS and it works well. Plus there is no need for an addative

Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
March 2008 ROTM

alright, i didnt know if it would or not. But you do see the logic behind my thought though right?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
March 2008 ROTM

when you change the oil in the rear end, were you able to use just the bottle it came in to get it all in? or did you need a pump? I havent looked at it yet and this Haynes manual let me down on that topic as well...

Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Tech Droid

The best way to pass emission is to have the car in good tune, clean air filter, new PCV valve, working EGR, and have a good cat. If you have an oil burner, it may help if u used a heavier grade of oil, like 20W50to prevent oil from getting into the combustion chamber. Also make sure the inspector allows the car to warm up enough so that the cat is lit up before using the sniffer.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ALL of that stuff is new, literally. It dont burn oil at all either. Its a good running car and what not. I was just trying to optimize my chances cause i hate going there...

Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Overdrive Member

I had to used a pump to empty the bottle into the rear. And that was with the car on a lift.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
March 2008 ROTM

alright, ill invent something or find a way to like, osmosis my oil into the diff... lol

Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Droid

Some states even check the gas cap, make sure yours seals good.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Here in CA its not the gas cap seal its the vent that gets tested.
Autoparts stores have inexpensive hand pumps. In fact I used one that would not screw to the bottle. The tube reached the fluid so thats all I cared about.

Quick Reply: lowering emissions