lost key,bypass vats help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Default lost key,bypass vats help

hello all,i've been reading threads for last couple days,and must say theres some pretty knowledgable people on this site!i've built my share of fast cars,the 3rd gen f body bug bit me a few years ago.this will be my 3rd iroc. this my first car with vats,and tow truck lost keys. i was going to look at wiring diagrams ang figure it out but, in one of the threads i read a member mentioned bypassing vats, so i thought i would ask for help, thanks p.s i was going to post some pics but after reading how i had to take some aspirn and lie down.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

One was is to go to radio shack and buy a bunch of resistors and try the 15 different combos it could be till you get the right one. VATS and PASSKey Vehicle Anti-Theft Systems - ThirdGen.org or you can buy the bypass module lil more expensive but either way it would fix your issue Baker Electronix - GM VATS Bypass

Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM

thanks for the reply, i was hoping there was a magic button lol. it's to late here to call a dealership,so i was wondering if anybody knows if i can get a key from a dealership using the vin number,or is the car to old. thanks

Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you want to retain your VATS, then a locksmith can make you a key. First, he needs to cut a plain key (they have their ways), then use an electronic device called an interrogator. It has a probe that holds the head of the key, then you insert the key in the ignition and try to start the engine. The unit has a 15 position dial for each of the VATS resistance values, which imitates using separate cut keys of each value (which is a more expensive way to do it). When it's a no-start, you'll still need to wait the 3-4 minutes for the system to reset before trying the next value. Once you get to the lucky resistance value and the car starts, you'll know which resistance key your car needs. It's at least worth a phone call to find out how much a locksmith will charge.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM

thank you,thats what i will do!just curious i worked at a chev dealership for 15yrs until 88,turned millwright,and built my share of fast cars.so i recognize someone who knows his stuff.so whats your back ground?
p.s your car looks very nice

Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Thanks. I've been a gearhead/backyard mechanic for the past 37+ years. Like to buy, fix, restore, and sell...primarily Vette's. Don't always go by the book like a mechanic may, when it's your own money you learn how to improvise when possible (fix instead of replace).

Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Another thing you can do if a locksmith costs too much, is buy a replacement ignition lock cylinder for about $35 at parts stores. Then buy your own interrogator (costs around $130) and have a new key cut that matches your VATS. Or, do a complete bypass if you don't care about keeping your VATS operational.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM

thanks,how hard is it to do a complete bypass?books are good for information knowing when to look in one is half the battle. i love matching heads cam rear ends, air flow,velocities,working on the bench i was just a parts changer i call it monkey work! i see you get a lot of kids on here asking same questions "how do i get a 10 sec car for a 1000 bucks" goes with the territory i guess "camaros" it's nice to see you take the time to answer them,after all we gearheads were once dreamers just like them.cheers

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is a previous write up from one of our members who has done a complete bypass. Don't know of anybody else here who has done it, except for maybe you soon? You can buy a bypass "module", but as you can see it's only a few bucks worth of electronic parts.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/gener...-delete-63327/

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Default Try

Originally Posted by GlennD
hello all,i've been reading threads for last couple days,and must say theres some pretty knowledgable people on this site!i've built my share of fast cars,the 3rd gen f body bug bit me a few years ago.this will be my 3rd iroc. this my first car with vats,and tow truck lost keys. i was going to look at wiring diagrams ang figure it out but, in one of the threads i read a member mentioned bypassing vats, so i thought i would ask for help, thanks p.s i was going to post some pics but after reading how i had to take some aspirn and lie down.
You can get help here Locksmith Vancouver, Burnaby, Delta, Call 24/7 604-358-7788

Quick Reply: lost key,bypass vats help