looking for some imput

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Default looking for some imput

i have currently have a 79 trans am. 403, 350 auto, but there is some rust in the trunk. my friend wants the car for a parts car. he is offering to trade me a rust free 85 iroc, with a 350. the car has t tops, b&m shifter backed by the 7400 trans. should i take the trade. the only bad thing about the iroc is is has a crack in the dash. does anyone know where i can get a complete dash for this vehicle? thanks for any imput.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear member

i would take the trade.. pics would help a lot though. As for dash, maybe craigslist, ebay, summitracing.com, jegs..

Call your local junk yards too

Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a decent trade to me

Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
4th Gear Member

for around $150 you can get glue on plastic caps that go on top of the dash and look like factory. If you want to remove the top of the dash and replace it, you can try places like hawks3rdgen that sell used parts (expensive too)

If you go to the local boneyard you won't find a good dash.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

was the engine swapped? the third gen didnt come with a 350 from gm until 87. drive it before you buy it and fully check it over, especially the floor pan

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

It comes down to what you want. If your friend wants it for a parts car, that makes it sound like its pretty rough. I wouldn't let a little rust scare me. If you spend the time and energy to do it right anything is repairable. Look at my pic, that was a PA car since 87; both wheel wells were shot and the spare tire area was rotted away, and it had 20 years of dings and dents. Nearly 2 years worth of good body work, it looks like it did in 87. I am sure there many guys on here who had way worse situations and with time made them amazing.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

thanks you all for your opinions. my t/a is more than a little rust in the back... and the car needs paint too, a little side note that i forgot to say is that i am also having title problems... the guy who i got it from had the title just how he had it from the previous owner as in he didnt have it in his name. he was about to put it in his name and decided stupidly to write a little bit and then put white out over it. and my stupid *** was so excited to have the t/a that i quickly glanced over the title and didnt see it. then when i send it in to get collector plates of course the title agency flips out over the white out and know i have to send a bond to the state if i want to title it. long story short, not a fun situation. im 22 and in school and i just want a classic to cruise around in, and the iroc is pretty much ready to go. the paint is good. and yes the 350 was swapped in, the guy before my cousion sold the original 305. i know my t/a is prolly worth a little more, but including the shape it seems like a pretty even swap. hopefully this helps.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

With alot of time, and money it'll be a sweet ride. Some pics would help alot to.