limp mode maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Default limp mode maybe???

i just bought a 86 z-28 was a 305 tpi, block numbers says its a 350 and thats what he told me he put a 350 in it, its still a tpi though.
i drove it 250 miles home not giving it hell, but now i got it home ive given it a little, had to replace all sparkplug wires, and header gaskets, so heres my ??? i can drive it for about 15 mins then the exhaust gets a lil bit louder and doesnt sound real healthy, at the sametime my service engine soon light comes on? whats the problem here??? it doesnt have ne catalytic convertors on it, the air pump isnt hooked up, the headers have the xtra tubes coming out their not hooked up, and all the tpi seems to be hoocked up, but theres severalconnectors that arent hooked up but i dont see where their supposed to go. help please

Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: limp mode maybe???

welscome aboard, and welcome to the ever so familiar problems of the old 350 TPI swap. mine had some problems, but i fixed them all and now she runs like a raped ape. so first thing to do is to make sure all the sensors that differ from the 305 are changed to the 350 ones: Knock sensor/module etc. Sometimes an intermittent trouble code is caused by a faulty O2 sensor, which are supposed to be replaced every 30K miles according to bosch. I just changed mine and it is perfect now. Also when the check engine light comes on, READ IT and see what the book says. Good Luck

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM

hey think about all the sensors that are supposed to be hooked up and where they might be, and tell me please, that would make my day easier, i haved worked with alot of chevys, but they all had the carb thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

but theres severalconnectors that arent hooked up but i dont see where their supposed to go. help please
I rebuilt my fair share of these back when I was a Mr Goodwrench and I can say with that discription I have no clue even what area in the engine compartment you are talking about. Either get a camera and take some pics and post them here or take it to a mechanic.

BTW: there is no sensor that can be completely disconnected and only set you check engine light after awhile. All sensors has have detection during the startup. The computer will notuse data frommany sensor until it warms up and goes into closed loop but it will detect a disconnect instanly.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM

i can take pics tomorrow no problem, ne thing i can do to get help thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Checkout www.chevythunder.com
Great info on TPI setups, including sensors and wiring and locations.
Sounds like your in the same boat as I. 86z w/350 tpi that isn't quite right yet.
Good luck

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Overdrive Member

ANY!!! not ne. Speak and type English damn it!

BTW: there is no sensor that can be completely disconnected and only set you check engine light after awhile.
I found that is not entirley true. Some can be unplugged and will not set a check engine light until to computer has not noticed a change in a certain amount of time. Plus with OBDI the check engine light does not always stay on until the problem is fixed. Check and see what code(s) are stored and get back here and some one can tell you what item to check and where to look for them

Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 AM

sorry havent got to take pics yet cuz its been rainin like crazy. did NE of yall see the tornadoes that hit tennessee, yep right bye my house.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: hughesis21

sorry havent got to take pics yet cuz its been rainin like crazy. did NE of yall see the tornadoes that hit tennessee, yep right bye my house.
Ah Tennessee. That explains a lot.I have faith in you.Some day you all will step into the 20th century. Then you will only be one hundred years behind the rest of the world. But I don't think you will ever stop yall from getting married to your sister.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ouch mike, be nice

Quick Reply: limp mode maybe???