Its in, and I almost burned it down.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Its in, and I almost burned it down.........

For MadMikeZ28's benefit: [8D]

Well, the second 350 swap went much easier than the first. I guess practice makes perfect. I had the old one out in less than 5 hours, and the new one in the car, all hooked up in about 7. The guy that built the motor for me made me promise that I wouldnt start the engine till he came over, to oversee the cam break-in.(This guy is a master technician and sees rounded cams all the time from improper break in)Monday night he came over, we fired her up and ran her at 2500 for 20 minutes to break in the cam. Halfway thru I noticed a little flicker ofred....fire......passenger side. Damn sparkplug wire was laying on the header and was actually on fire. We shut her down, blew out the fire and replaced the wire. At this point I saw a little coolant leak and threw a big piece of cardboard under the car to catch the drip. 5 minutes later I pulled out the cardboard to check the leak and WHOA! the cardboard was on fire! ( it was also leaning up against the exhaust) I think I might inastall a halon system in my car!
I burned thru another wire and melted a few other wires that were a little too close, but other than that shes good to go. Ill be spending tomorrow fixing the little stuff (AND installing shorty header spark plugs!) and getting her inspected. Hopefully, by the grace of (insert your diety of choice here) Ill have all the gremlins worked out..........and Ill finally get to drive her around town. Then Ill be all like "Hey ladies, like my *****in Camaro?!"

Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Its in, and I almost burned it down.........

That,s great Scott, no pun intended, but *****en "wow" have,nt heard that in about 30 years, now have fun with "her" (the car) focus! and try not to burn her down. If it has to be done and god willing it wont be, then park her next to a ford, so at least there,s one less on the road, im getting tired of burnin fuel blowing by them.[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

For MadMikeZ28's benefit: [8D]

Well, the second 350 swap went much easier than the first. I guess practice makes perfect. I had the old one out in less than 5 hours, and the new one in the car, all hooked up in about 7. The guy that built the motor for me made me promise that I wouldnt start the engine till he came over, to oversee the cam break-in.(This guy is a master technician and sees rounded cams all the time from improper break in)Monday night he came over, we fired her up and ran her at 2500 for 20 minutes to break in the cam. Halfway thru I noticed a little flicker ofred....fire......passenger side. Damn sparkplug wire was laying on the header and was actually on fire. We shut her down, blew out the fire and replaced the wire. At this point I saw a little coolant leak and threw a big piece of cardboard under the car to catch the drip. 5 minutes later I pulled out the cardboard to check the leak and WHOA! the cardboard was on fire! ( it was also leaning up against the exhaust) I think I might inastall a halon system in my car!
I burned thru another wire and melted a few other wires that were a little too close, but other than that shes good to go. Ill be spending tomorrow fixing the little stuff (AND installing shorty header spark plugs!) and getting her inspected. Hopefully, by the grace of (insert your diety of choice here) Ill have all the gremlins worked out..........and Ill finally get to drive her around town. Then Ill be all like "Hey ladies, like my *****in Camaro?!"
And will your wife be sitting next to you???
Third motor is a charm and two fires..Thats funny. Thanks for the laugh. And more leaks! Are we going to have the pleasure of multiple threads started on that subject?
I'm just messin with ya, Kudos

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mike, Ive given up on the leaks. This car STILL leaks tranny fluid. About a quarter sized spot a day. No big deal, but after a week or so it looks like a murder scene under my car! It comes from some mystery location, some seal that I dont even know of. Im convinced thatYOU might even be sneaking to my house at night and dripping ATF in my driveway just to screw with me......

And YES, my wife will be with me while I cruise for chicks. Ill say "woman, you get in the back while I talk to this hot chick!"

Ill let you know how I recover from my beating...........[:@]

Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Damn when you had the engine out you should have had the tranny resealed. Unless maybe there is a crack in the case some where. Or its over filled and puking out the small breather tube.
But I also have been know to mess with people with fluids and parts looking like left overs or forgtten.