intake manifold and carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default intake manifold and carb

this has probably been posted a 1000 times but its greek to me. 87Z, 305 carb, automatic. ok. i read the post on getting 325 hp out of a 305. i'm having a hard time following all of this. i just want to add an aluminum intake and new 4bbl carb. around a 600cf. my intake is leaking (factory) and my carb is junk and i'm tired of tinkering with it. summit racing sells comb of intake(weiland) and carb (holly) for $389. is there better deals elsewhere or better parts? next question is what is the difference between dual plane, single plane, square bore, split bore. i really am not looking for explination on all this....i want something nice economical decent performance. can someone just say this intake (performer, dominator, one with skulls ect..) and this carb and it will all mount together just fine. thanks. keepin it simple. other part of this, i want to eliminate vaccum hoses. what a mess. i'm not changing heads, cam, lifters, seats, windows and tie rods....just a simple bolt on and it works system. easy answer please.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: intake manifold and carb

You want it simple. Fix what ya got. I had a carbed 84 that I rebuilt the carb on and tuned and it worked fine for me. I liked driving it way better than the TBI I have now. It has been said many times if you go with non computer carb you will need a distributer and if you have a 700R4 a controler for the TCC.
A dual plane intake is better for the low end where a single is better for upper end power. Since your not changing the cam and your max power is already around 4000 rpm you wont bennifit from a single plain.
The dual plane edelbrock performer rpm seems the best.
But if you want to go with a combo kit then get it, a non computer msd distributer (accell seem to be junk), coil (or you can get a non computer HEI and use your coil) and if needed a TCC controler. Look em up at summit. They are B&M and are around $80.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks mike. i didn't know i would have to change the distributor also. i'll start from scratch and try to rebuild the one i have. what is a TCC controller? distributer is cap and rotor. my coil is separate between the dist and carb. i didn't figure the computer did anything except mess with sensors for this year. thanks. mark

Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

oh lord i wish the computer only messes with the sensors, i'm findingthis out the hard way. EVERYTHING! except for the lights is run through that little silver box. i'll have pics of my mess up later haha, but i agree with mike, the dual plane intake would be your best bet if you want to swap intakes.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Overdrive Member

TCC= Torque Converter Clutch

Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, fancy me this....can i just put a HEI distributor on this car? perhaps its not the carb but its a distributor/computer problem. have a guy that will sell me one for $20. am i just by passing a problem or creating a new one for myself? heard the HEI distrib w/vaccum advance is much better than the standard crap i have. 1985RS, I HATE THAT SILVER BOX TOO! Mike thanks for the definition. I still have no idea what it is or what it does but I shall do some reading. thanks for posting guys. mark

Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Overdrive Member

You pretty much have to keep all your computer controled items together. They work off one another

Old 06-11-2007, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Im gonna go against Mike here and tell you to get a new carb. I have rebuilt 4-5 carbs before, and I ALWAYS manage to give birth to an additional problem. ( one step forward, 2 steps back) Unless you have access to all the proper cleaning and rebuilding tools, (like a hot solvent tank) all you will be doing is taking it apart and puttin it back together with some fresh gaskets. This is just my opinion, and everybodys got one....

Edelbrock carbs run out of the box and require almost no tuning. Of course, this advice is all for nill if you are having and ignition problem. Whats the car doing?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Scott you just leave your self so open...............I am trying to be nice.......Can't hold back too much longer....................[sm=icon_quiet.gif]

Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

One of these days Mike, one of these days............[>:]

Quick Reply: intake manifold and carb