i'm new to this camaro ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by freaky
don't have the srt anymore i brought up explaing why i want to go turbo ,thats what i know .
i posted pics of the srt tho , go look at it
by the way darrell *** racing makes a twin turbo kit for the srt , dcr.com if you really want to see it .i belive the hot rod run 8's with that an a **** load more stuff .you really ought to know what your talking about before you speak. plenty of fast *** srt4 on youtube the fastest
street legal one runs like 9.13 at 160mph check it then talk to me .
but just one thing bro,,,its still just a NEON bro!!!/??
this is a comaro forum and bragin about how bad your NEON was isnt a good way to make freiinds w/the very people your looking to get info from...
theres lots of knowledgable people here who if you loose that "chip on your shoulder" annd act like a respectful person would,,,
would, without a second thought go out of there way to help you if they can...
and yes if rice is your thing,,,the srt4 NEON is veery capable to say the least, but,,,,
id push my com,before id even own a NEON bro,,
but thats not my bag.....think about it bro.....

Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19jacks71
but just one thing bro,,,its still just a NEON bro!!!/??
this is a comaro forum and bragin about how bad your NEON was isnt a good way to make freiinds w/the very people your looking to get info from...
theres lots of knowledgable people here who if you loose that "chip on your shoulder" annd act like a respectful person would,,,
would, without a second thought go out of there way to help you if they can...
and yes if rice is your thing,,,the srt4 NEON is veery capable to say the least, but,,,,
id push my com,before id even own a NEON bro,,
but thats not my bag.....think about it bro.....
i brought up the neon to expain why i want to go twin turbo .i know about turbos .and i like turbos !for christ sake i bought a camaro !i 'm looking to find out about the best block heads pistons an so forth that can handle boost .how much hp can the rear an tranny hold .what will be better for what i want to run . i'd prefer some one whos done this to chime in .i respect all cars if there built nice an are fast .i'm not the one getting buitt hurt here !

Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm following you man.
Tell me specifically what parts, year, etc. You do know.
And like everyone is saying the 305 is not the best option. A 350 would be your best bet. Hate to say it knowing that i have a 305. But with all the compression the 350 will be best. It is the best small block chevy made that would stay cool the best. When your running that much power you won't heat your engine up AS much, it won't strain it, and it won't be as hard to reach your hp goal as it would be as if it was the 305 you still have. Now i don't know how you feel bout ebay. But ebay will have some twin turbo kits for around 1k. And, with your 305 having so many miles on it you will have to rebuild it which will cost few hundred, then buying some of the "upgraded" parts and push rods etc. to spend that extra maybe 600-1000 bucks that you could have saved if you just spent that originally on a 350 and gone up from there.

The kit i found on ebay is made for small block chevy. so it will fit 305 all the way to the gen I 400 small blocks. So if your still wanting to really try it out on your 305 go for it. But if/or you want/need to upgrade to the 350 your still able too.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sinclairaity
I'm following you man.
Tell me specifically what parts, year, etc. You do know.
And like everyone is saying the 305 is not the best option. A 350 would be your best bet. Hate to say it knowing that i have a 305. But with all the compression the 350 will be best. It is the best small block chevy made that would stay cool the best. When your running that much power you won't heat your engine up AS much, it won't strain it, and it won't be as hard to reach your hp goal as it would be as if it was the 305 you still have. Now i don't know how you feel bout ebay. But ebay will have some twin turbo kits for around 1k. And, with your 305 having so many miles on it you will have to rebuild it which will cost few hundred, then buying some of the "upgraded" parts and push rods etc. to spend that extra maybe 600-1000 bucks that you could have saved if you just spent that originally on a 350 and gone up from there.

The kit i found on ebay is made for small block chevy. so it will fit 305 all the way to the gen I 400 small blocks. So if your still wanting to really try it out on your 305 go for it. But if/or you want/need to upgrade to the 350 your still able too.
i've got a meth kit in the basement still , but no wouln't even consider doing the 305 . i was thing like a 383 stroker motor .i keep hearing i need to change the tranny an rear but to what . this ain't gonna happen till summer atleast i'm researching now . i'm thinking a ford 9 inch rear but not sure . all i been getting is bashed for the most part i'm glad somebody gets it .thanks for the positive imput !

Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah you will need to change the rear and tranny with 500whp. you could just rebuild your current tranny to hold up to that much power and you could get a 12 bolt rear or ford 9 inch but i believe the 9" will need some brake mods and stuff. easier to just go with a 12 bolt or possibly build up a 10 bolt. I'm gonna just rebuild my 10 bolt rear and get a 700r4 tranny to hold up to the 510hp that my 454 will have

a 383 would be a good choice since that will give you lots of power just N/A so it will be really badass turbo'd. If you can i would go with the turbo'd 383

Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason7504
yeah you will need to change the rear and tranny with 500whp. you could just rebuild your current tranny to hold up to that much power and you could get a 12 bolt rear or ford 9 inch but i believe the 9" will need some brake mods and stuff. easier to just go with a 12 bolt or possibly build up a 10 bolt. I'm gonna just rebuild my 10 bolt rear and get a 700r4 tranny to hold up to the 510hp that my 454 will have

a 383 would be a good choice since that will give you lots of power just N/A so it will be really badass turbo'd. If you can i would go with the turbo'd 383
thanks man for the info ,i hadn't give the 10bolt, 12 bolt a thought . i haven't messed with chevy's since 2003 when i had a blazer . i've forgot alot .i was just looking through this magazine an really for what i'm looking for power wise i really don't need a turbo . but they sound an feel so badass when they spool .i got awhile to study i've only had the car two weeks an only drove it a couple times . it needs body work an a paint job first . in the spring i want to get some centerlines for it . by then i will have decided the route i'm going power wise .i'm just trying to get alot of input to help me make up my mind . thanks for your input .

Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah you don't really need a turbo to get the power your looking for although a supercharger or turbo will make the power more streetable but also more expensive. you can't beat a nice N/A engine either with the sweet badass idle lol

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i recomend staying with the 700r4 because, well, its a great tranny. for about $2500, you can pick up a built unti that garuntees handling 500-600 hp, and equal torquea amounts. subframe connectors are a must, and possibly a 6 point cage to stiffen it up. a 383 stroker would be an excellent choice. now, are you planning on fuel injection or carb(s)? and as far as a rear, a ford 9 inch will work, as well as strange and moser 12 bolt rear ends. i am going to be building up my camaro this summer, and i plan on ordering a lot of parts from http://www.spohn.net they will help you get what you need, and their parts are on a few 9 second oil pan slammers. they also have a very knowledgable online tech help.

btw, blueprint engine www.blueprintengines.com offers a budget stomper 383 stroker, completely ready to run, tuned carb, broken in, and warrented 30 months/36k miles for around $4000 and the hp specs are already over 400. im sure slapping on just a mild front mount single turbo will push it over 550 hp no problems.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...ptions&pcsci=4

Last edited by microkid; 12-08-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
i recomend staying with the 700r4 because, well, its a great tranny. for about $2500, you can pick up a built unti that garuntees handling 500-600 hp, and equal torquea amounts. subframe connectors are a must, and possibly a 6 point cage to stiffen it up. a 383 stroker would be an excellent choice. now, are you planning on fuel injection or carb(s)? and as far as a rear, a ford 9 inch will work, as well as strange and moser 12 bolt rear ends. i am going to be building up my camaro this summer, and i plan on ordering a lot of parts from http://www.spohn.net they will help you get what you need, and their parts are on a few 9 second oil pan slammers. they also have a very knowledgable online tech help.

btw, blueprint engine www.blueprintengines.com offers a budget stomper 383 stroker, completely ready to run, tuned carb, broken in, and warrented 30 months/36k miles for around $4000 and the hp specs are already over 400. im sure slapping on just a mild front mount single turbo will push it over 550 hp no problems.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...ptions&pcsci=4
thanks man thats the info i been looking for ! what about a 4link rear suspension a must or over kill ?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

4 link would be good if you are going to do full drag racing only, but the factory style is well adapted to holding up. i suggest boxxed lower control arms, tubular track bars, and a tubular panhard bar. theyre much stronger and wont bend under the high torque forces at work in the rear